CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

I've got a bad feeling...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 01:59 PM
RIP "The Baron of Bronson"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've got a bad feeling...

*sigh*

The misses and I were on the way home from work this morning. Traffic was light, weather cool, bike was running great, cruising along at about 4k / 55mph or so and then it happened.

BANG! From the left side (AND IT WAS LOUD!).

Then nothing after about 10 seconds, dead as dirt. Limped / coasted her to the shoulder. And tried to start her. Dead. Plenty of battery power all lights came on, hit the start button; nothing. Motor wont turn. I was getting ready to do my CCT and Chain. Hope I didn't wait too long. I have a real bad feeling though.

Bike has fuel, oil, coolant, plenty of battery power, no fuses popped.

Its too hot outside to start tearing her down about 105F today, so tonight I'm gonna pull the plugs and see if I can turn the motor manually. If not... I guess I have a lot of parts for sale...

Any thoughts?

Old 09-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not good Michael.
When she's cool, maybe pull off the round plastic cover on the lower left side of the motor. Underneath it is another cover with a plate in the middle with a nut in the middle of it - diam about 1/12 inches. Pull that off and you will see a nut. Put a spanner on it and try to turn it......slowly. If it won't move, it's a major problem, possibly a broken camchain.....I've never heard of one breaking, but.........
Did the engine lock up or just die slowly as though it had been switched off ?
Hard to tell from here - let us know what you find...............
Bad news buddy, sorry to hear about it, but do not despair - we'll help you with it..........

Old 09-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that man. Hope it's nothing too major!

Old 09-21-2009, 02:30 PM

Shad,

Ya I was thinking the same on the lower left. I wanted to see if it turned manually with a wrench and the plugs OUT to see if she's locked up. I'm gonna pull the valve cover off too. That will be the tell tale.

It banged ran about 10 seconds ok, then nothing was there like the motor switched off, oil light came on (probably because the motor was running the pump, like when it comes on just before you start the bike).

I tried to hit the starter while coasting = nothing

I downshifted and let the clutch out to try to bump start it and it tried to run for about 5 seconds, when the RPMs weren't high enough then = nothing

Downshifted one more time and it chirpped the rear tire (made it skid). When I pulled in the clutch the skid stopped. THIS is what really worries me. I locked up one of my dirtbikes years back and it did the same exact thing. Pulling in the clutch freed it up.

Pisser is, I just bought ALL the parts to do the CCT even stuff I probably didn't need just to do them, a brand new clutch and springs (just because), a Carbtune to sync 'em, motion pro rivet tool set, ect ect.

I just have a really bad feeling. Eventhough it breaks my heart I'm not gonna drop a motor in her. I just can't justify it when I can get another 'Cane for a little more than the price of a motor. So stay posted there may be a great deal on a ton of good used parts and even better deal on brand new ones.

Last edited by michealparks; 09-21-2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Unhappy

Such a good lookin bike to have something happen to it. Don't part it out, fix it. It might take a few months, but today is the last day of summer. We have awhile till spring again. I know you are in AZ.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:36 PM

Really hate that for you. We will hope for the best. Let us know what you find out.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, Micheal... that is really bad news.
All you can do now is turn it and see if it's locked. Doesn't sound very promising, though. Very sorry to hear that.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:57 PM

Great excuse to go shopping. There are some nice Cane's around right now.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:17 PM

Thanks all, its still a bit toasty out to bother with it, but I'm gonna get on her in a few hours after the sun drops a bit. I will keep all of you posted.

I thought starter too, but then why would it go out while riding and/or not bump start? I appreciate the thought though; I probably put about 25 miles on her before this happened. Actually made a stop at the computer parts store prior. She fired right up and didn't make any of the horrid starter sounds I've heard on you tube from here.

Hopefully I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but in my line of work I've learned to plan for the worst and pray for anything else. Hopefully we'll know in a few hours.

I do have a little comfort knowing if she's terminal that she'll keep other gals going. Not to mention I got a lot of NEW parts and tools here in the mail, so you guys may get a screaming deal on some stuff. It breaks my heart to think of not fixing her, but there are other beauties out there.

91,784.7 is commendable for a bike that was abused badly (and I mean badly from what I hear) prior to my ownership. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Here is where she sits at the moment....

I'm gonna go get a drink.

Attached Thumbnails I've got a bad feeling...-100_2469.jpg  

Quick Reply: I've got a bad feeling...