CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

I've got a bad feeling...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A reg rec and stator cover replacement should take about 1 1/2 hours - stator cover +-$200 brand new from www.mrcycles.com (or e-bay but nothing on there ATM)
Reg/rec about $100 - try www.electrex.co.UK - they make a far better one than Honda, has huge heatsinks and comes with a years guarantee, AND will give you higher charging rate lower down the rev range. Honda R/R NO guarantee, so if it's DOA, you pay again !
Just for info...................(I've been this route)

Old 09-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
Just for info...................(I've been this route)
That he has - and he's a much brighter spark because of it ....right Pete ?

Old 09-26-2009, 02:24 PM
RIP "The Baron of Bronson"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shadow
Is that the plug into the stator....................?.NOT GOOD
Each phase and there are 3 pushes out 30V, so if there was a short there...........OUCH

I wouldn't be surprised if your battery was fried too..................
Ya Shad, sure is the stator plug. I'm on duty today so not much I can do. The internals didn't look terrible but the plugs were f-ed. Like I said it took some effort to get 'em apart. When I get home tomorrow I'll check the reg / rec. My battery is fairly new about 1yr+ old but it looked like the acid level was low when I was charging it. It took a "full" charge but "full" maybe chit now. So its probably chit too. May also be the reason I can't turn the (good) starter. Also thanks for the links I'll look at them next payday (just made my house payment ugh).

I think after that point I'm just gonna put it back on and take the boys at Honda up on thier offer to run an electric diagnosis on her. Freaking electrical problems could be anywhere when they start and they have all the supper tools to locate them fast. I don't want to chase an electrical problem around her, ya know fix one and "pop" another. Atleast to properly diagnose, then I'll fix it

TBT & Sproc, ya so far it looks like I lucked out (kinda) with this. It could have been much worse. And absolutely now that I got here tore apart, its a PERFECT time to do the CCT. I am still waiting on 1 part from Honda that was on back order till the 28th. I just want to solve this electrical issue before I tackle the next one. Great time to sync my carbs too my carbtune came in today

http://www.carbtune.com/

One other thought.... When I get a new stator, of course it will come with a new plug. What about the wiring harness side? I don't want to plug a nice new plug into a burned melted hunk of chit. A good mechanic could replace the wiring harness plug right?

This guy.....

Attached Thumbnails I've got a bad feeling...-4.jpg  
Old 09-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah very good Mike .......you sure are up to yer **** in it now but hey take your time
man and all will be mucho better man. Got a new carbtune eh ?? Mind me asking
how much ? in USD it came out to ??

Old 09-26-2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sprockaholic
Ah very good Mike .......you sure are up to yer **** in it now but hey take your time
man and all will be mucho better man. Got a new carbtune eh ?? Mind me asking
how much ? in USD it came out to ??
Thanks Sprocky, ya if I'm in this deep I may even go for broke and pick up some new body parts. Just sucks we're coming into our prime riding season. Anyone remember that site someone posted here awhile back? Was in Europe somewhere. My body panels look nice at a distance, but they've seen some better days. Broken off tabs, a prior chitty paint job, structural cracks, ect.

My carbtune ran me a little over $100 with shipping. Its real nice. Hell if anyone needs one maybe we can work something out if you pay for shipping...... I can't use it for probably a long time from what it looks like.

Anyone got any idea about the possibilities of that wiring harness plug being able to be rewired???

Old 09-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sprock, I think I paid right around $100 for my carbtune shipped direct from them.

micheal, yep.. you're gonna have to replace the harness (just the parts that are fried, obviously). What I would do is start looking for a cheap full harness somewhere, and cut and splice in what you need. Maybe use those good snap connectors to tie it in. Like these.... Bullet Terminals (took me a while to remember the name)

As far as a harness, how about something like this one?? Full Harness...

It's from an '88, so you'd maybe have to ask Honda if it has the same plugs or whatever, but it's pretty cheap.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Failed Electrics drive me nuts, going though it myself
Great to read your engine sounds all good still , look forward to hearing
shes up and runing again soon, hopefully mine to . Im taking the time to go though all the wiring harness and connecters and make sure every one is clean and sound and then taping them up to seal out any moisture .

Old 09-26-2009, 07:45 PM

GOOD FIND SIR TROUT!!! I'll call Honda on Tuesday AM. They're closed on Sundays and Monday's

Morning Steve-o

Motoman, misery loves company eh? Sorry to hear yours, hopefully mine will resolve soon. I miss her dearly already

Old 09-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GOOD FIND SIR TROUT!!! I'll call Honda on Tuesday AM. They're closed on Sundays and Monday's
Hey man... in my searching around, I found another one. It looks like the '88 Harness is a bit different?
This harness came straight out of your bike ('91, right?)
It's another one to keep in mind. (And only like $60 shipped)
I see big red connectors on it...

It may also be useful... '90/'91 CBR1000F Full Harness

There are a couple others, too, from other years. Then there is a fusebox with a couple connections... (if you need that)

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 09-26-2009 at 09:56 PM.

Quick Reply: I've got a bad feeling...