CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

I've got a bad feeling...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 11:16 PM
RIP "The Baron of Bronson"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sproc..... wow.... this is it. And its brand new. Remeber, mine's a 91. Call me gullable, but supposedly when I got the upper nose fairing for my gal it was the "last" one Honda made available in the US (atleast a new in the box Honda factory part) and believe me I paid dearly for it. It was supposedly under a box of a box of a box in the back corner of the warehouse ect. I trust this guy so I'm taking his word. He's pretty trustworthy. He actually didn't have it and found it... supposedly...

Think I could strike last gold 2x with this one? It looks PERFECT! Read the auction.... and look at RETAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks man, and STILL thanks Sir Trout, your's may still be the one I get. We're tight this week but mrsparks said buy it anyways. I have her blessing to treat my mistress. Must be in the stars....

Sir Trout, I was riding through Central Phoenix, or North Mexico / Columbia as we call it. Very good possilbility I to some MAC 10 or UZI fire......

WHERE IS THAT DANG SHADOW TO COME AND GET HIS ATTA BOY!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Last edited by michealparks; 09-27-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I was reading this thread on pins and needles , especially when I saw the pics of her.(beautiful bike) Happy for you when I saw you had a fix that didnt include a major rebuild or scrapping her altogether. Looks like you'll get some riding in yet!!

Old 09-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Geeps - Now we know why it went BANG..........................Mine were little wimps compared to that................HOOOOOOOOOOOOO
So glad we were able to help there - a helluva lot of extra work, what with the camchain and all that, but experience is never wasted..............
I would still have the Stator checked with a mega ohmeter - It took me 3 reg/recs, every 6 months or so before I realised the stator windings were cooked - she'll still charge etc but the resistances are the only way to check if it's going to give trouble....... Do it now and things should be good from now on........
WE HAVE A WINNER !
btw THAT HARNESS TROUT TOLD YOU ABOUT................I bought the starter clutch out of that bike - very well packed, good guys to deal with. (If you ever need a starter clutch I have one spare, but it's generally the damper that goes.)

And the Baron of Bronson has a smile so wide, his face will fall in half !
Really pleased for you.
Shows you what teamwork from OZ, RSA, USA, etc(and a sprinkling of luck) can do.

SHE'LL LIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Shadow; 09-28-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:01 PM

This really is a great story. Can't wait to hear that the repairs are all finished and that beautiful bike is running like the wind again.

Note to self. Check Battery Water.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by grendl
Man, I was reading this thread on pins and needles , especially when I saw the pics of her.(beautiful bike) Happy for you when I saw you had a fix that didnt include a major rebuild or scrapping her altogether. Looks like you'll get some riding in yet!!
Gotta love the drama huh! lol.

[QUOTE=Shadow;842171]I would still have the Stator checked with a mega ohmeter - It took me 3 reg/recs, every 6 months or so before I realised the stator windings were cooked - she'll still charge etc but the resistances are the only way to check if it's going to give trouble....... btw THAT HARNESS TROUT TOLD YOU ABOUT................I bought the starter clutch out of that bike - very well packed, good guys to deal with. QUOTE]

Thanks again Shad, I will absolutely run the that Stator though the gammit of test when I take her to Honda. And after looking at it that harness in my gal, it don't look too terrible to replace. So no matter if I get the brand new one or the used one, I'm just gonna do the whole thing.

Good note Shadow on the starter clutch, its kinda feels good to know that girl is keeping others alive, and what a small world huh? You get her clutch and I get her harness lol. Gonna looks at finances today and atleast pick up the harness, seems like it maybe the hard one to find out of the group if I let these slip by.

Originally Posted by JHouse
This really is a great story. Can't wait to hear that the repairs are all finished and that beautiful bike is running like the wind again.

Note to self. Check Battery Water.
This gonna take awhile, I have some stuff coming up at home that I gotta take some time off for for the missus, but I will absoultely keep you guys informed. I'll take my time and make sure its done right. Don't want to have to do this again any time soon...lol

Old 09-28-2009, 02:59 PM

Take your time. This actually IS brain surgery.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by michealparks
Sproc..... wow.... this is it. And its brand new. Remeber, mine's a 91.
Cool could not remember your year !

Seems a brand new in bag would be the one for me

Old 09-28-2009, 08:52 PM

Sproc.... I talked to the guy today and he said has "watchers" ya ya ya we'll see at the end. Maybe he's just playing hardball, but I offered him a bit extra to end it and give me a "buy it now" option.....

Obviously new would be best and I'm gonna try my damnedest to get this one just because its new and the wife gave me her blessing. Sir Trout's also looks very viable too if I can't get it. Not to mention Shad has that gals starter clutch; kinda sentimental.... lol

Old 09-28-2009, 11:58 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't go off half cocked on the wiring loom. I've burnt out my reg rec 3 times, and my stator once - my wiring loom is fine. Just have yours checked for continuity. They are tough old birds !

And if finances are really tight I have a secondhand (untested) reg rec for you.............
my backup unit off fleabay..............

Any 6 point plug socket (male and female) will do the job, for the R/R and the stator.
Originals may be hard to find, and buying a complete harness for two plugs is.......................

One of the watchers on the loom is me, another is Sprock and the third is Trout - keep his address and put in a bid at the end if you have to........................

If you need wiring diagrams or any help let me know, I have some experience there

Last edited by Shadow; 09-29-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow
A reg rec and stator cover replacement should take about 1 1/2 hours - stator cover +-$200 brand new from www.mrcycles.com (or e-bay but nothing on there ATM) Reg/rec about $100 - try www.electrex.co.UK - they make a far better one than Honda, has huge heatsinks and comes with a years guarantee, AND will give you higher charging rate lower down the rev range. Honda R/R NO guarantee, so if it's DOA, you pay again !
Just for info...................(I've been this route)
Thanks Shadow I appreciate the offer. I'm just gonna suck it up and get all new stuff. We're a bit short this week, but not to worried. Next week I'll be sitting just fine again.

I just want to make sure everything is new and just done so I know its all fresh. I'm gonna use your other guys (above) for the other parts. I was hoping to get her to Honda tomorrow, but can't I got some stuff to take care of with the missus.

As for the flebay new harness, I talked him into selling for $100 out the door shipped. Little more than what it listed for but still a good deal vs retail and now I have spare parts.

So YOU guys were the wachers.... lol

Quick Reply: I've got a bad feeling...