CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

I synced my carbs and what a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: I synced my carbs and what a difference!

ORIGINAL: TimBucTwo

ORIGINAL: riegnman

I'm not sure that I understand the balance off of carb 2. I had a screw that when I twisted it carb 1 gauge went down and carb 2 gauge went up. If I turned it the other way, the opposite happened. Did I turn the wrong screw?
[X(]
I would answer if I could post.

Edit: What the H, it quoted me quoting myself, well at least there isn't any normal o in my post.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:02 PM

ORIGINAL: tallenuf

One of the carbs on the 1kf is the base carb and has no adjustment (I believe this is true on all inline four engines). On the newer bikes, such as my '93, carb #3 is the base carb. The older modelsassign carb #2 as the base carb (not sure of the exact years for#2). You then adjust the other three to match the reading of the base carb. When all the carbs are reading the same, you've got it!

An important note before synching the carbs is to ensure your valves are properly adjusted first.
My '94 has a #2 base.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:03 PM

ORIGINAL: tallenuf

One of the carbs on the 1kf is the base carb and has no adjustment (I believe this is true on all inline four engines). On the newer bikes, such as my '93, carb #3 is the base carb. The older modelsassign carb #2 as the base carb (not sure of the exact years for#2). You then adjust the other three to match the reading of the base carb. When all the carbs are reading the same, you've got it!

An important note before synching the carbs is to ensure your valves are properly adjusted first.
My '94 has a #2 base.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K. I've done something wrong. 'Cause when I synched my carbs there were 3 screws. One in between carbs1 and 2, one between carbs 2 and 3, and one between carbs 3 and 4.

I turned the one between carbs 1 and 2 and the vacuum gauge on carb 1 came down and the gauge on carb 2 came up until they were about the same.

Then I did the same thing with the screw between carbs 3 and 4.

Then when the each set of carbs was about the same, I twisted the screw between carbs 2 and 3 and the gauges attached to carbs 1&2 came up and the gauges attached to carbs 3&4 came down until I got them as close as I could. (the screw bottomed out on me and wouldn't allow for any other adjustment in that direction.

Is there a post or site with pics and such to help me figure out how to sync the carbs on the 87 model?

I must have done something good 'cause when I did it my gas mileage went from 25-29MPG all the way up to 37MPG.

Thanks.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:56 AM

With your valves set, your floats level and air filter cleaned, ballance off the base carb. Mine is No 3#. Now as a suggestion, turn the idle screw up to 1700rpm and sort out the base carb first. The reason to the high rpms is that when the others are running out, the ones that you have already done dont get affected, (keeps the engine running smooth) with your base sync done you can do all four at the same time. Once your happy return to normal idle revs (mine is 650-700) but al bikes are different. Then see what mpg you can get. The basic fh will give you 45 - 50 mpg when cruising.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:41 PM

You may be at a decent sync but you should not be bottomed out. You are doing it correctly. It sounds like #2 is your base from what you have described. To get the screw off of bottom start turning each screw out about 1/8 turn each. As you do this the butterflies will be closing and you will have to turn the idle screw in to increase RPM.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:47 PM

O.K. Thanks. I think that I must be doing it correctly.
I still need to adjust my valves. The guy told me that this was done before I bought it, but my gauges all are in the red stating that the valves need adjusting or there is a vacuum leak. I can't find a vacuum leak, so I assume that the valves need adjusting.

BTW, I think that this will fix my problem with the screw bottoming out as well when I adjust the valves. I'm just afraid to jump into that right now.[] I don't have all of the knowledge that I need.