CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Help with Rear Brake Master Cylinder

Old 10-07-2018, 08:58 PM
Default Help with Rear Brake Master Cylinder

Hi All,

New member to this forum I have a 1997 1000F and love it. No drama's with it but I do need to rebuild the Rear Brake Master Cylinder and I do not seem to be able to get a kit or new Master Cylinder. Current one O rings and seals are screwed.

The part number is 45600MZ2891, it's part 12 in this diagram https://zsf-motorrad.de/en/Spares/CB...ASTER-CYLINDER

I have tried a number online and they seem to be listed but not in stock and they are discontinued.

Does anybody know where I can get the kit or replacement. If not anyone got any ideas what other part may fit. Starting to clutch at straws brakes are off and cannot get the bike back running currently. I tried buying a used one online and it was just as bad as the one I have.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks
Mark

Old 10-09-2018, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

That's a tough one. Your part number is for the entire mc assembly, which is why it's so expensive and scarce. I see a different part number for the piston/seal kit 45620-MZ2-306, with a potential hit on a site in France. Could be others too, but it does look like supply is dwindling

After that, could look at aftermarket, or rolling the dice on another used part. If things get desperate, you could always de-link the rear using common parts from other models. I believe there's a thread on the forum with instructions

https://www.bike-parts.fr/honda-moto...8/F_4_1/2/2342

Old 10-09-2018, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by tentacleslap View Post
That's a tough one. Your part number is for the entire mc assembly, which is why it's so expensive and scarce. I see a different part number for the piston/seal kit 45620-MZ2-306, with a potential hit on a site in France. Could be others too, but it does look like supply is dwindling

After that, could look at aftermarket, or rolling the dice on another used part. If things get desperate, you could always de-link the rear using common parts from other models. I believe there's a thread on the forum with instructions

https://www.bike-parts.fr/honda-moto...8/F_4_1/2/2342

Thanks for the ideas, I actually found the complete part with these guys hondamotorcyclepartsonline.com not received it yet so hoping it is the right one, the serial number is the same. If anyone reads this and your K's are getting up on your bike I would suggest grabbing one of these for the future they are not cheap but rare as rocking horse poop.

Last edited by Mark1000F; 10-09-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:51 PM

I doubt it's that rare, the VFR's, the 98 FI 800 and the 750's used the same system and are[were] much more popular. Having said that I have one of these [hurricane] now and an old one at that, and I'm dreading a rebuild of the rear brake system which is literally non functioning..

Old 10-11-2018, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Faren View Post
I doubt it's that rare, the VFR's, the 98 FI 800 and the 750's used the same system and are[were] much more popular. Having said that I have one of these [hurricane] now and an old one at that, and I'm dreading a rebuild of the rear brake system which is literally non functioning..
It's way less scary to rebuild a brake system then to ride with no brakes. They're actually pretty simple - not a lot of moving parts. Most of the time is spent bleeding afterwards

I know that a lot of bikes had linked systems, but I doubt they'd be a direct swap. Seal kits should be available for most bikes, but OP wanted the entire master cylinder assembly. Even popular models won't have too many of those left in the warehouse imo

Old 10-11-2018, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Faren View Post
Well the place I thought had a couple was a waste of time took the order then told me they had to back order, damn you can't back order these.

I have tired getting the parts for a rebuild no luck same issue most of the sites show the parts you try to order and they have to back order and guess what they are no longer available.

Thanks for the idea of the VFR's I didn't know they had same parts I will check this out, off around the wreckers this weekend fingers crossed for a good one.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

The VFR's don't have the same parts. The fiche shows that they are visibly different. Not to say that it couldn't be done, but it would take modification

It's surprising that kits aren't available. I had no trouble on my '87 and it's another ten years older, and also had a very short run

If I were in your shoes, I'd try another used part. They can't all be bad