F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Rear Brake Reservoir Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Reservoir Replacement

Good Evening Folks,

I have a 94 600F2 that I am finally getting back on the road after a pretty long "nap". Everything on the bike is stock but I am debating on finally customizing a few things here and there but first goal is to clean everything up to look as new as possible.

I've noticed that the Front Brake Master Cylinder Site Glass has yellowed over time and the Rear Reservoir is looking pretty 'yellowed' as well. I'm wondering if I can replace the rear reservoir with one those 'Universal Fit' ones from eBay? Any recommendations where I might get a replacement front brake master cylinder without breaking the bank?

Thanks to anyone with any suggestions, information, or insight.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:53 AM

Hello, yes you can just get a universal type off eBay but take care in looking at component details to ensure you have parts to fit...I've used universal reservoirs on several of my older bikes in the past. As for the replacement front brake master cylinder, i'm not sure of a single source would have the best deal. Hope that helps

Old 06-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You've definitely got some options, for both front and rear.

Regarding the rear reservoir, as long as the nipple on the reservoir is the correct size, then any old reservoir would work, as all it's doing is holding the fluid, just keep in mind that your stock reservoir is molded with that flange containing a metal insert, for mounting it to the extruded U-nut on the battery box, so whatever you get will have to be able to be secured in some fashion, so it won't just "flop over" due to the weight of the reservoir and fluid, and possibly kink the feeder line to the master cylinder... I realize this is kind of obvious, but I just thought I would mention it.

If the bike your working on is race/track oriented, or you would like it to be, then you could eliminate the OEM feeder line and reservoir entirely, by using Tygon tubing in place of both - I saved just a smell under 1/4 lb. of weight with this process - you can see what I'm talking about, starting in about the middle of page 21 of my "Phase 2" thread, and finishing on page 22... if this interests you, and you have any questions, let me know.

Regarding the front master cylinder, I do have one that is in pretty good shape, on my "F2 Parts For Sale" thread, that isn't too "weathered", and has a red Pro-Tek billiet cover on it, but bear in mind that with the fluid behind the sight glass, it's always going to have a bit of a "yellowish" look.

A popular option for front M/C replacement is to use one from a 900 RR - it bolts right up, and you can use your existing lever and banjo bolt without any issue, so long as you replace the crush washers at the banjo bolt.
The 919cc era of 900RR ('96 to '99), uses a 16mm piston, rather than a 13mm piston (OEM F2). From '00 to '03, which was the 929cc and 954cc incarnations of the 900RR, the front master uses a 19mm piston, which is total overkill for an otherwise stock F2 brake setup, and you would definitely lose some of that "linear feel", when applying the front brakes. Furthermore, I'm not certain that those would bolt right up anyway.

As far as obtaining one, that's just a matter of searching, and waiting for the right deal - on page 3 of my Phase 2 thread, you can see the unit I installed, which was from a '99 900RR - I got really lucky with that one: the guy had it on eBay with a reserve of $15, probably expecting at least a few folks to have a little bidding war, and sell it higher. I had intended to bid on it, but got the time wrong, and the items posting expired BUT, nobody had bid on it at all, so I sent him a message through eBay, explaining that I had planned to bid $25, but failed to do so, and said I would be willing to pay that. He re-posted it with a "buy it now" price of $25, and messaged me the item number, and I bought it right away!!
Like I said, that was a lucky score... just keep your eyes out for one!

Old 06-06-2013, 12:23 PM

Thanks so much for the replies!

After looking at the rear reservoir on the bike and the photos of the universal ones online it looked like it "should" work but I thought I'd ask those who were more upon what you can and can't do when it comes to getting non Honda parts.

Bought the bike new and never tinkered with anything. Wanted to leave it like it was when I bought it but some things just wear out a bit over time and I want to freshen it all back to looking new. Luckily it won't take much just a few things here and there.

JNS...I found your write up last night and only skimmed over it made plans to dedicate more time to read it from beginning to end. Great stuff from what I saw and I look forward to seeing exactly what you ended up doing.

Thanks for such a detailed reply about the brakes and the info about using the cylinder from a 900RR. Gives me more options if I decide that I need to find a replacement. I've seen some sites selling the front brake lever and the M/C as a complete unit...any reason to avoid these if they are not OEM?

This site has turned out to be a great resource for me and thanks to everybody here that takes the time to help out the rest of us. I'm mechanically inclined enough to get through most tasks with a little guidance and a few photos and you this has been a great place to find both.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:24 PM

On the rear master cylinder reservoir, keep in mind that it's barely visible with the fairings on, but if yours is indeed kind of yellow and ugly, the one I have for sale definitely has the appropriate "translucent white" look to it, so it might be an improvement, who knows... post a pic of what yours looks like, as you've got me really curious!

As far as the lever/master cylinder combinations, most of those are very pricey units, more geared toward newer race bikes, but if it's not designated as for the bike, to some degree, that doesn't matter, as long as it has the right dimensions for mounting to the clip-on bar, which is pretty much universal, and it comes with a banjo bolt that will work with the input end of the brake lines, then it could work.

The only examples that I have ever looked at, are from Brembo and Galespeed, and are quite pricey ($350 to $400), and you still have to get a reservoir kit. Maybe you've seen some cheap Chinese knock-offs, but for me personally, when it comes to a master cylinder, I would avoid these.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:21 AM

Well...I apparently jumped the gun just a little bit on the level of "yellow" I had with both units. After bleeding and refilling both front and rear systems they are back to a more "normal" color. At least what I would consider normal for a 20 year old bike. I guess brake fluid gets a little "funky" after sitting for 6 years huh?

Still have a bit of concern with the front reservoir as the site glass has the "old cracked plastic" look to it. I need to post a pic if I can get close enough to show it clearly. Wondering if this is a problem that I need to address or merely cosmetic.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Protius
...I guess brake fluid gets a little "funky" after sitting for 6 years huh?
Brake fluid gets a little funky after ONE year (or less, depending on use), but after 6 years, it's totally crazy wicked funk-a-licious!!!
Some might call it overkill, but I completely purge, refill, and bleed my brake systems each season, it does break down quicker than you might think - I definitely don't think doing this every year is overkill, not by a long shot... I've heard of plenty of racers that do this for each and every event!!

Originally Posted by Protius
Still have a bit of concern with the front reservoir as the site glass has the "old cracked plastic" look to it. I need to post a pic if I can get close enough to show it clearly. Wondering if this is a problem that I need to address or merely cosmetic.
I think it's a problem that needs to be addressed, and you can do so by buying my master cylinder, which has the purrty red billet cap, and feel good about what you've done, knowing you've infused a few bucks into my racing budget!!

Just kidding! I mean, for sure, if you really do need one, I've got one, but it's true, without a picture I'm not sure what you're dealing with.