CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

fuel pump..help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuel pump..help

need advise .. i was working on fixing a seal leak in the petrol on/off ..fix that ..then i had to fix a another seal from tank to petrol on/off ..both parts are not leaking anymore..except now.. the petrol pump just keeps going like crazy..never stops..is this the relay switch? i've checked its getting in petrol and out but the pump never stops..just buzzes at high speed..the bike started but not sure for how long..

Old 06-19-2011, 11:51 PM

Mine doesn't have a pump so I can't be much help. All I can come up with is that, if it was working fine before, then maybe something has been re-connected wrong or there's a dodgy join somewhere.

If you can isolate the relay then you can bodge up some feed and switch wires to it in order to test it.

Sorry, that's all I can come up with mate.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search, as DaveTP says, the later models don't have fuel pumps. I think that some guys who had pumps removed them altogether without any problems.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:56 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

The Haynes manual details the test procedures for the fuel pump (Lordy, don't I know that), top of the head, sounds like a fried relay, although I thought they most often died in the always off mode as opposed to always on?

Old 06-20-2011, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
The Haynes manual details the test procedures for the fuel pump (Lordy, don't I know that), top of the head, sounds like a fried relay, although I thought they most often died in the always off mode as opposed to always on?
yeah relay should fry off... left the bike for an hour and went and bought relay and tried her again and all was well, withought needing to change the relay.. i guess it needed time for fuel to fill the hoses completely and get the pump full and no air and she started behaving again. the good news is i think by fixing the the seeping leaks from the petcock the bike is running better.. not stuttering when crawling prolly less air in the mix maybe?

Old 06-20-2011, 04:56 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by horse_power777
left the bike for an hour and went and bought relay and tried her again and all was well,
The joys of living in Sydney vs Wanaka. That would be a three week mission for me to try and extract some intelligible response from my nearest Honda dealer who is about an hours drive away, and has a spotty faced youth on the parts counter, who only knows about XR's and stuff.

"So is a CBR a dirt bike, I've never heard of them?"

Mind you it only takes me about two minutes to walk to work so I guess that's the upside.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:57 AM

Good that it's working again. Back to what it's meant for...being ridden, not worked on!

Old 06-21-2011, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
It always worries me when stuff don't work , then later it does without doing chit to it creeps me out !!!!

If I were you I would whack another post up asking how to remove the bastard altogether.... As has been mentioned , they can run fine without them !... Someone here will have done it for sure ...

good luck mate ...

I know what you mean about unresolved causes .. i hate them too..i think in this case it was simply making sure the hoses and pump where filled with petrol..like with a pool pump principle i guess..

hey check out my art work

Attached Thumbnails fuel pump..help-petrol.jpg  

Last edited by horse_power777; 06-21-2011 at 07:10 AM.