General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Delivery Issues (Bypassed Fuel Pump)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 01:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Delivery Issues (Bypassed Fuel Pump)

Anyways, when I first received the bike, the fuel pump was completely shot; beyond the point of rebuild.
The previous owner JB welded the seam to keep the leak away and the contacts were completely destroyed.

Anyways, I decided to bypass the fuel pump to troubleshoot the pump and to provide a temporary fix until I can afford a pump (poor college student).

Recently, I've noticed the bike does not like to rev in the high RPMs.
If I take it fast from first to second, close to redline, it tends to cut-out like there is no gas being delivered.
I'm at about a half a tank and have the petcock turned to reserve at all times.

Is this normal with not running a fuel pump?
It tends to idle just fine, but after taking the bike to high rpms and begin to slow down via brake and clutch disengaged, it just dies even if I give it gas.
It also tends to gargle for gas when I'm shifting from first to second in high RPMs.

Any ideas?
Just need a fuel pump?
The fuel filter is not clogged (in-line), so it can't be that.
I also have the fuel delivery hose routed so that it delivers fuel above the bowl in the carbs.

Ideas? Suggestions?
The bike is a '98 F3.
-Brian

Old 08-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea they got fuel pumps on em for a reason at high rpms the motor is beggin for more fuel but cant get the right amount without the fuel pump also running at higher rpms your running very lean without the pump thats why it wants to cut out its starvin that can be bad after awhile lean motors get very hot, you'll def want to get a new fuel pump soon.