CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

frame swap of a 92 onto a later model

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:50 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Clearly the Netherlands doesn't have the level of vehicle theft that we do here in Africa. If your car isn't fitted with a tracker and it gets "nicked" you'll be very lucky to see it again. Thieves here steal a car and park it out of the way and leave it to see if a tracker is fitted. After 24 hours they come and check and if it's still there, they strip in. Almost as bad with bikes.
Frame numbers are stamped into the headstock where they are visible without stripping, and if they aren't and you're told to strip it down, you either do it or the vehicle is impounded. End of debate.
Sounds like a police state ? Sure, but we lose less vehicles this way.
I wonder how many "unusual engines" are floating around Europe ?- quite a few I'd say. Far too easy to strip a good engine out of a stolen bike, dump the rest and put it in your frame...............................

Old 03-28-2014, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
I agree with all that Sprock and Shadow have said above. But, real life observations:

Have you ever been stopped at a roadblock and had PC Numpty ask you to strip off the fairings so he can check the engine and frame numbers?

Last time I did a bike ownership change; the completely uninterested old lady at the Post Office

(OK, maybe not that old, about my age)

just took my nine dollars and magically made the bike mine rather than kiwiJK's. She showed absolutely no interest in wandering outside and waiting while I stripped the fairings off to show her the concealed magic numbers.

I guess that selling stamps to Noodles to post their washing back home to Mum was more of a priority.
I had Jared - the local Policeman - under the bike (Knackies) holding the fairings from scratching on the gravel when we dismantled it so he could 'sight' the engine, frame and VIN numbers.

They then phone the stolen vehicles registry and cite all the numbers and when that is all clear you get your approval for registration.

About $50 for the service plus the $600 for rego.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:31 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess things are a bit more casual where I live.

There was a delightful story in the local community newspaper last year about the local police having their first report of a stolen car in over eight years.

But the car turned up back at the owners house the next day.

Apparently someone on their way home from the pub had used it to get home, and then dropped it back the next day.

The owner has to take some responsibility though, car unlocked, key hidden in the ignition (who would ever think to look there?).

Not actually stolen, just borrowed.