CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Fixing the last owners hacks

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing the last owners hacks

Hi everyone, I have been reading the replys on the forum and there is alot of knowledge here. Maybe some one can help me. I just got a 94 CBR1000F, love the bike. The last owner did not have alot of love for her and I amrestoring her. The bike runs a little rough on low end, and sounds like a motorboat on low deceleration. She runs awesome on top end. The bike is a California bike and he ripped all the emmissions gear off. Has anyone pulled the California emmissions off thier bike and whats the right way to do it. He pulled the Pair valves and vented them to the air through fuel filters, should these be plugged off ? Next, he installed a V&H SS2R pipe and Dynojett kit with the needles on clip 3, should they be on clip 2 ? Any help that someone could provide would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:04 AM
Default RE: Fixing the last owners hacks

Welcome aboard! I am in the East Coast, so don't have much knowledge about emission control system. However, you need basic tune up first before go for something complicated thing. It sounds like your carbs sucking extra air somehow, or carbs are not synchronized well. Did you check spark plugs? If spark plugs burns to hot, it definitely too much air. Since you got after market exhaust system, maybe you need to play with jetting.[/align][/align]

Old 01-25-2007, 03:48 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

First Welcome, Next is the bike still in Cali and at what elevation? The carbs will need to be synced to elevation
and airflow modifications that have been made. Also did you get the emmissions stuff with the bike? Because if it was me
I would reinstall it, put it back to stock or as close as possible, get a good tune ( new plugs, carbs cleaned and synced,
valves chkd/adj, air cleaner cleaned) That way you can be sure of the changes you make are an improvement and
not just a problem chasing another problem. I had a Cali emissions CBR and it had some pipes removed and was a total
bear to get tuned right. I ended up putting block off plates on that bike at the cylinder head, and put on different carbs
and pipe, because I had them and did not have the emissions stuff, and was not keeping the bike on the West coast.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Dub

Old 01-25-2007, 10:14 PM

Hi YAS, thank you very much for the tips. I will try a plug check the next day that we get some warm weather, I also live in New England. If you are ever around Boston drop me an e-mail. Thank you.

Wayne

Old 01-25-2007, 10:27 PM

Hi Dub, The bike is a Cali bike, but it now lives in Boston. I did get the emmissions gear from the previous owner. Yeah, I think reinstalling the emmissions gear is probably the best bet to try to bring it back to square one to know where I stand. Eliminate all the other items, valve adjust, carb synch, plugs andrun a plug check on it. Thanks again for your help, if your ever in Boston drop me an E-mail.

Wayne

Old 01-27-2007, 07:52 PM

Just joined this forum and was looking through diff. areas and ran into your thread on a cali. CBR and the problems you are having, I am also a CBR 1000F California owner. (it is for sale on this site also- just put it in the classifieds). From my experiance with this bike ,if you have California carbs it is best to put everything back to stock as the carbs are extremely hard to dial in particularly with an aftermarket exhaust. My shop tech who has been in the biz for over 30+ years agrees with me on this one, unless you can find a shop with an exhaust gas anylizer and a tech that knows how to use it, that is the best way to dial in your carbs.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:47 PM

Hi Cycleslim, Thank you for the response, everythingseems to beleaning toward putting the bike back to the California gear. I might have to go that route. This is going to be interesting, I like challenges. I hope you have good luck selling your CBR, and thank you for the advise.

Thanks,

Wayne

Old 01-30-2007, 01:39 AM

Wayne, I have a bunch of info for the specs on you CBR, let me know if you need anything, I have some specialty tools from Honda also, Valve lash tools, idle jet screws tool, mercury carb syncronizer, alot of old school stuff but still works.

cycleslim