CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

contemplating modifications

Old 05-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default contemplating modifications

Some petrol head friends of mine want to introduce me to a local drag bike builder... he's apparently got a good reputation for quality work and even has a world record for the somethingest twin cylinder drag bikeheld it since 1973!

I told'em straight up I wasn't interested in turning my comfortable touring bike into a monstrosity but they still want me to sit down with him and come up with some options.

I figure a good rebuild to get it back up to like-new condition would be good... and maybe add in a little something special...

I'd like it to look nice but not obviously modified which means standard exhaust and avoiding anythingoutside the fairing.

So Isound like Iknow what I'm talking about, can anyone recommend any modifications that would fit with the above and would be in a drag bike builders box of tricks?

Old 05-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: contemplating modifications

If you want to do some good runs on a strip without changing the apperance of the bike the following could come in question.

- Less air in the rear tyre and use a real grippy one
- Lowering the chassie and adjust the suspension to soft
- Open the stock exhaust (remove inside restrictions)
- Port the cylinder head
- Get the valves and seats MIRA cutted
- Regrind the camshafts for more lift and duration
- Raise the compression
- Lower the squish height (piston to head clearance)
- Put in a low restriction air filter
- Get the bike dynoed and the A/F ratio adjusted to 12.8 to 1 or whatever ratio gives most power on your bike
- Gear the bike so it revs to full power on the top gear at estimated top 1/4 mile speed. This will probably be a change with about 10% more rpm than stock,e.g.1 tooth down front and 3 up back.
- Check that the clutch components are in good condition and practice hard starts until the right amount of clutch slippage become a second nature.
- Reduce all weight that can be done, e.g run with the minimum amount of fuel, use a minimal battery, lights off etc.

Above should put you into low 10's