CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Charging issues, thought i fixed it but was wrong.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging issues, thought i fixed it but was wrong.

Hey all been having a real mess of trouble trying to fix my bike for the last 10 months. I'll start by saying it's a 1994 model year. I have replaced my alternator, reg/rectifier 3 times, battery and main harness due to charred connectors. I now have a new alternator that I had to splice on connectors that now has .9 ohms between each yellow wire. I haven't had time to check the regulator since this most recent failure. I have followed all steps in the fsm for charging issues for previous "repairs" but now I'm near ready to set the bike on fire.

I have absolutely loved this bike up until this fiasco. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:48 AM
Welcome Crew

sorry to hear of your problems, electrics can be a pain, follow this link

http://www.electrosport.com/media/pd...ng-diagram.pdf

it may be of some help (hopefully)

Old 03-31-2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by wheelnut
sorry to hear of your problems, electrics can be a pain, follow this link

http://www.electrosport.com/media/pd...ng-diagram.pdf

it may be of some help (hopefully)
Thank you, will take a look as soon as I have a little spare time and let you know what I come up with.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:58 PM

So I decided to check the regulator tonight. Tested it with a multimeter per the service manual and found that there is neither resistance nor continuity between R/W and any others. This will be my 4th fried regulator. I won't have my alternator back until tomorrow night as it is at a shop.

Now to figure out what is causing this to repeatedly happen.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Default electricals

Hey bud hope im not to late and you end up looking at a fire pit.... Pull your wire harness apart and check every intersection, next if you upgraded to an led light system did you put the proper resistors in? Even if you want to upgrade to leds you have to install resistors or you will have to much power running through the system. Popping fuses may be common in that sense. Also check the grounds to the motor and frame for fraying and repair as needed. (This is all time consuming but worth it if you want to ride with confidence in your bikes dependability on the road) I posted a story on my bike in the random conversation section and i think you should read it. (Went down the same path with my 02 f4i)

Old 04-07-2016, 07:03 PM

Thank you Sam, I haven't upgraded to LED on any parts of my bike. As far as grounds go, I have been cleaning all that I can find and planning on adding one near the alternator and another at the R/R. I will have to look into checking all the wires at their junctions.
In the meantime I'm replacing the Li-iron battery with an AGM Yuasa and replacing the starter switch solenoid due to the connections being burnt.
I have checked the resistance in the yellow wires that go from the alternator to the R/R and they each have about .5 ohms of resistance, I don't know if that's how should be. Maybe someone could check theirs and verify?

Old 04-12-2016, 01:08 PM

So everything in the charging system is new or near new (alternator, R/R, battery, starter relay solenoid). The bike is charging as it should but when I rev the motor the voltage peaks at 15.8 volts and from what I understand the voltage shouldn't go much higher than 14.5 volts. That has me worried.

Anyone want to chime in?

Thanks, Jordan