F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

High Idle *FIXED due to zerochickenstrips FIXED*

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Idle *FIXED due to zerochickenstrips FIXED*

Ok i have been racking my mind (and funds) to find the problem so i will explain it from the beginning.
The bike ran fine then i crashed it and all that happened was the throttle cable snapped under the airbox and right then it kind of idled high but i didnt think it was anything. so i replaced the cable and fired it up and it idled really high like around 5 or 6k and ive checked the TB's to check for damage and anything but i couldnt find anything so i gave up then rode it around town and as i was riding the FI light came on and it blinked 8 times so i went home and checked all that it said to "the TP sensor and the ECM" and i couldnt diagnose the ECM so i bought a new one and i plugged the ECM in and got 1 blink then 9 blinks and it just turned out that i forgot to plug the IAC and the MAP sensor in so i did and all the FI lights tuned off but it STILL idles high until i disconnect the MAP sensor hose then the idle comes down around 1300 but i am at a stand still and cant figure it out. sorry for the long and probably confusing post but i need some help bad
JonBrown

Old 01-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Default RE: High Idle

Oh ya i forgot to mention that i checked the idle adjustment screw and it dosent matter where it is either all the way in or all the way out it dosent make a difference and yes it is screwing inthe wax unit like it is supposed to

Also if i disconnect the MAP sensor hose the idle comes back down but if i plug the hole with my finger on the MAP sensor then the idle spikes to 5 or 6k again.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:35 PM

No clue man, I would ask your local bike shop to see if they have any idea.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:49 AM

I think your throttle position sensor might be out of wack. Or a vacuum hose is pulled off somewhere. Do you have throttle freeplay? Maybe the throttle bodies are out of synchronization due to the broken throttle cable?

Old 01-11-2008, 04:17 AM

+1 on checking vacuum hoses

Old 01-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when it blinked 8 times it probably was the TP sensor... check that out, it's on the right side above the CCT. If you lift the tank you see it as one of the only plug in connections right at the joint line between the tank and frame. check if you see something wrong or just replace I guess...

Old 01-12-2008, 01:20 PM

well i was comin in to type that the TP sensor was the culprit but now i hvae a new problem.. you cant replace the TP sensor on the 2002 f4i all you can do is get new throttle bodies so that sucks. thanks for the imput guys i guess i have to have my eyes out for a new TB assy.
Thanks again
JonBrown

Old 01-13-2008, 09:58 PM

Before you go looking for new assembly, try tapping the sensor lightly with a small hammer one way or the other (it rotates with the grooves that the screws go through). If you rotate it one way, the idle speed should change either higher or lower. The TP sensor is basically just a fancy rheostadt that adjusts voltage output based on the position of the throttle plate rod. Sounds like its idled high because it thinks the throttle plates are opened when they're not.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:02 AM

oh. so waht if i take it off let it go back to neutral then put it back on that will basically do the same thing right? thanks alot ZCS because i was wonderin how the TP sensor works thanks that cleared alot up and i will try it
JonBrown

Old 01-14-2008, 09:10 AM

OMG I LOVE ZEROCHICKENSTRIPS!! noone had a dayum clue on how to fix it for like 3 weeks and that is all it took man Thanks a million and a half
JonBrown

Quick Reply: High Idle *FIXED due to zerochickenstrips FIXED*