CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Can anyone help with my ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 02:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

searched the net there looking for a 3 wire switch can't find it anywhere this is driving me nuts i might just plug the 6 wire one in turn the key see what happens

Old 05-02-2009, 04:53 AM

when i turned the key the ignition light did not always come on so had to turn it on and of a few times to get it to work and now won't work at all. good news if you can call it that is i got speaking to a honda macanic those round like rivets have to be drilled out then you drill and thread the new hole they don't like to make it easy lol

Old 05-02-2009, 04:59 AM

forgot to say the six wire wont work the honda guy reckons a honda one will be around £120 plus vat which brings that to about £140 well i have had her 8 years this is the first thing to go wrong so you could say i'm not doing to bad then

Old 05-02-2009, 06:37 AM

the honda guy was wrong i pluged the 6 wire one in just to see and to my amazement it worked so all i need do now is get the stock of drill it out retread it and of we go when i get her put back together i will take some full bike pics

Old 05-02-2009, 07:51 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't you put a groove in the screw nut with a hacksaw blade and maybe get it out with a screwdriver. It looks like a one way head which allows it to be tightened but not released - something to do with making the bike harder to steal.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
Can't you put a groove in the screw nut with a hacksaw blade and maybe get it out with a screwdriver. It looks like a one way head which allows it to be tightened but not released - something to do with making the bike harder to steal.
In looking at the picture, you can see a shoulder on the bracket that prevents a hacksaw from getting down to the bolt. Also, you have to remember where this is located, on the underside of the triple tree with a fairing all around. Not exactly an easy place to work. I would think that using a drill and then an "easy out" to get the old one out is the way to go. The bolt is counter sunk, which will help hold the drill in the center. I can't believe that it's not already threaded. I'd be surprised that it's a rivet rather than a bolt. I think once you get it out, it's a matter of just bolting in the new one and you're on your way.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Can anyone help with my ignition switch