CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Cam Chain Tensioner - again

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 06:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cam Chain Tensioner - again

Thx Guys,

I just ordered a new CCT. In Denmark this thing costs 185$.. So better hope it helps

Old 03-21-2007, 04:41 PM

where do you see the part list? I just spoke to one dealer today, he couldn’t get the CCT. I'll have to find one myself or get it directly from Honda?!
Ferlev,

I have not replied you. I found the list of parts at http://hondapartsdirect.reachlocal.net/default.asp

Collector,
How can I clean the tensioner? Tensioner should be removed from the engine?

Old 03-24-2007, 07:15 PM

Hi All,

Here is the latest update on my project. I got the new CCT the other day, so with nice weather and spring in the air, I want to install it this weekend!

I’m still not sure on how the cam’s and everything should line up, here is a few picture and I’ll explain below. BTW, I “only” had to pay 160$ for the CCT. I see on Hondapartsdirect.com it’s only 129$.. But it’s ok

This is the crankshaft hole cap. It was pretty hard to remove, but finaly came off. You see the marks on it from the hex slottet wrench..

Old and new CCT, not much difference.. I will measure it and compare later..

So this is the mark line-up exactly as the manual said. Can anyone confirm this is right?

This is where my problem starts. Somehow I got the two cams mixed up. I know the front end cam is the exhaust cam right? So this should be the one marked with EX, and the other one for intake is marked IN right? Just to be 100% sure

Now for the cam alignment, I don’t’ get what the manual states on page 8-6.
It says “Align the “IN” marks on the intake cam sprocket and “EX” mark on the exhaust cam sprocket with the cylinder head upper surface.
The fourth and last picture on that page shows two hands adjusting the cams in the right position. What I don’t see is what side this picture is being seen from? What is front?
The EX and IN mark are on both my cams?

Is the abowe picutre wrong? Maybe I’m a little dumb here, but I don’t want to do this wrong
Thanks again guys )

Old 03-24-2007, 07:28 PM

My 92 has 94,000 on her and with a fresh belly of oil in her she has a light tick and once warm you can hardly hear the C/C, but I beleieve mine had a reasonably care for life before me now its just gets pampered.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:07 PM

Ok Ferlev. You have the cams in the correct position and from the photo I can see that tou have the crank in the right place as well. Now ensure that the cam markings are facing upwards, ei in and ex. The front that you are asking about is the exhaust side. Also if you look at your cam chain you should notice that one of the links will have a white timing mark on it. Now remeber, your engine turns anticlockwise. When you place the cam chain over the cam ensure that the marks are facing upwards when the chain is taught before you tighten down the cap bolts. When you turn the crank anticlockwise ensure that the marks come back to the top position before moving on. Good luck.

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 03-25-2007, 05:16 AM

C Thanks... How about this "Molybdenum disulfide grease" the manual says you have to apply? I don't have this, is it a must?

Old 03-25-2007, 06:32 AM

You can use vaselene instead. It will work as good.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:08 AM

Ferlev, looks like you are making progress, This suggestion may help you in indentifying the front of the motor from the pics in the manual.
Look for the 2 screw bosses that are at the front of the clynder head cover (you will be looking at this from the seated position on the bike). The manual shows both views from the left and right side of the motor.
Just pulled my manual out and took a look at the last picture on page 8-6, That view would be from the left side of the motor. The "EX" mark is in the guys right hand. You can see the 2 screw bosses in that pic. Collector is right - after you get the cams and tensioner in rotate the crankshaft SLOWLY and make sure the cams line up when you put the crank back to the "t" mark. The 3rd pic down on page 8-7 is from the LEFT side of the motor (again as you are sitting on the bike). Hope this helps, cycleslim

Old 03-26-2007, 06:15 PM

Guys thanks!

I got the cams in place and aligned the marks as good as possible. I would like to hear you’re opinion on how you think my marks line up.
The first set of photos is from the mounting, the next set is after turning the engine several times.

I might think I have the inlet cam one tooth wrong? (DAMN!?)

I tried to align the marks as well as possible, but then the T-mark doesn’t align any more? Is there something wrong with the “Ignition pulse generator”??

One last thing, I bought a new cylinder head cover gasket. The manual says I should use liquid sealant as well, is this necessary? What is the easiest way to assemble this? Should the gasket be placed on the cylinder head cover or on the cylinder head?

Old 03-26-2007, 07:52 PM

hy
yes by your photos looks like one of the cams is one tooth behind or forward depends on how you look at it. I have to adjust my valves prety soon and that's gonna be the first time i take the cil head cover off. One thingh thou... by your pictures it looks like your cam chain is a bit to stretched (does not sit evenly on the cam gears) Can someone else confirm this?! As I said i'm not sure of what I'm sayng as I still didn't see my CC. So please don't worry untill enyone else comments something about this... Whats the mileage on your bike? One way to check any chain if its out of spec is to cover the entire gear with the chain (put the chain seating on all of the gears teeth) and pull it outwards (away from the gear's center) from the oposite side of where it starts/ends on the gear. I shoul not have any play/ slack!
I hope I'm wrong but if your chain is close to the end of his life then the tensioner will get worn out a lot faster!
Best regards

Quick Reply: Cam Chain Tensioner - again