CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Cam Chain Tensioner - again

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cam Chain Tensioner - again

Hey Guys,

Here is my latest news. I got everything assembled and she fired right up after turning the switch to run. No problems at all. I took her for a spin and she sounded splendid with the new exhausts

After the short run I parked her for the night and the next morning I wanted to adjust the balancer.
After loosing the nut and getting the screw driver in place, I turned it a little back and forth to get it moving. Now suddenly I was able to rotate it counter clockwise nearly 1/3 of a turn?? Is this normal? Please see the photos below.

The first shows original position, the second shows the maximum position able to achieve rotating counter clockwise and the third picture was where I decided to set it.
Should I go for the full 1/3 minus one notch???

Old 03-31-2007, 10:27 PM

Where you have it set should be pretty close according to the manual, it says to turn it counterclockwise as far as it will go then back one notch. Looks like you have it where it is supposed to be. Try it there and see if the engine smooths out or gets worse. Then just keep adjusting in small increments from your starting point. let me know what you find, I may adjust mine (get handle bar buzz at speed), never had that before?

Old 04-01-2007, 03:10 AM

Dont worry about the no of turn you have to do to get it seat. Mine was something stupid like 20 turns before I felt it seat. Then just backed it off till the 1st mark and all was good.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:40 PM

So it is able to go all the way around?

Old 04-01-2007, 09:34 PM

Yes it can do quote a lot of turns

Old 04-02-2007, 06:08 PM

This seems strange. Can anyone tell me what this balancer does? I don't get it, if it goes like 20 turns, why the small increments in the adjustment? Let’s say it's like a thread, 20 turns is quite a lot..!?
Even though, looking at the bolt, it doesn’t seem like It ever have been adjusted, so it might need the adjustment?! (But still 20 turns?!)

Well my bike is running smoothly. The rattling sound is gone, and with my new exhausts I hear it much better. Now the last thing to do besides adjusting the balancer is to go to the local shop and get a complete carb adjustment and dyna-test, and get my wheels balanced. Then there is no more I can do.. =) Again thanks for all the info on this forum it has been a great help!

Old 04-02-2007, 06:10 PM

Halibag,

Looks like an okay idea to me. Still I think you need something to lock the top bolt. Maybe a locking washer could do the trick. When looking at you’re pictures I got a even simpler idea. I will try to illustrate ASAP. =)

Old 03-09-2008, 12:14 PM

Well i add my version of modified CCT also

As the spring was too weak i decided to help it with another spring. The spring is taken from old russian car Moskvits There the spring was holding reflectors in headlights i shortened it a bit and modified and add it to CCT like is shown on those pictures
http://www.zone.ee/kaspar10/bike/

When chopper riders sat behind beer tub they talk about new fancy things they got to their bikes last week, when CBR owners sit and drink beer they talk about how everyone has modified theyr CCT-s

Old 03-09-2008, 02:55 PM

Hi Kaska

Looks good and simple. As long the spring is stiff enough and secured so it NOT will fall of into the engine, you are goof to go. Please write here how it runs.

For my repair, I had my first run yesterday and not a sound from the CCT!
(I just replaced mine with a new one.. )

Greetings to everyone who helped me in this forum!!

Old 03-09-2008, 03:05 PM

yes i was worried about what will happen when the spring fell off. but it is guite stiff and i think it will not go anywhere. Newertheless it wount hurt to check it once in a while.
The engine runs absolutely guietly - very nice sound. And the best thing is that all the repairing took less than one day and if here would not be snow i would be riding again

Quick Reply: Cam Chain Tensioner - again