CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Brake light won't work

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light won't work

Hi guys,

I just discovered my brake light is not working, neither with the front brake nor with the rear. I check the fuses and the bulbs, and they are all fine. And that is about I can do do with my knowledge. The stay lights, turn signals, head light and everything else work totally fine.

This is a 90 cbr 1000f. Any suggestions?

Old 07-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

Maybe brake light wire unplugged in the rear tail cowl, pull it off and check.

Dub

Old 07-24-2011, 12:18 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Suggest

Hi, so when you place your key in, turn on, the tail light does go on but not flare up when you grip the front brake or back. Even if tail light goes on, does not mean bulb is good? Maybe 1/2 the bulb is blown and the park light still good. Pull the bulb off, inspect it clearly, is one of the two connection inside bulb is disconnected? If so, there your problem. If not and bulb is 100% good, then it is your actual wire connection.

Originally Posted by jajgarcia
Hi guys,

I just discovered my brake light is not working, neither with the front brake nor with the rear. I check the fuses and the bulbs, and they are all fine. And that is about I can do do with my knowledge. The stay lights, turn signals, head light and everything else work totally fine.

This is a 90 cbr 1000f. Any suggestions?

Old 07-24-2011, 05:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bulb might look fine, but could still be cactus. The easiest way to check is just to stick a new bulb in (you'll need it one day, even if the original one is fine). Failing this, shout yourself a cheap multi-meter and stick it on the bulb terminals while a mate pushes the brake.

Another possible cause is that the switches are not adjusted properly. The multi-meter can be used to sus all this out.

Have a stab at it, then get back to us if you have no luck.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:06 AM

Hi guys,

thanks for the quick replies. I did took the cowl off to check that all wires are connected. Everything looks fine. I did check one of the bulbs, and it looks fine, and honestly I find hard to believe that both bulbs have the same issue at the same time. Nevertheless, I agree that having an extra bulb is must, so I will try to get one today. I just got a tester (multimeter?), with which I check the voltage in the battery. I am not totally sure what should I check in the terminals... voltage or continuity?

thanks again for the help.
Javier.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:34 AM

So I got the problem partially solved. It was mainly due human stupidity. I remember that I recently did major work on the brake system (new master cylinder kits for front and rear, new brake lines, pads, etc). So instead of messing with the wiring and voltage and continuity and all that, I did what I should have done since the beginning, and it is to check both front and rear switches. The rear switch is engaged by a cable that is pulled when you press the pedal. The cable has a spring that should be attached to the pedal, but mine was loose. So that is it for the rear brake, now it is working just fine.

The front brake has a different issue. I unplugged the two wires below the master cylinder, cleaned the terminals and all, and then tried and started working! I said, well that is all. I put everything back on, and now what happens is that the connection is intermittent. The brake light not always comes on. What I noticed this time is that it likes to come on when I barely press the lever. If I press too much, it blinks but it won't stay on.

It is the switch gone bad? or is there a way to graduate the sensitivity of it?

Javier.