CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

'94 CBR 1000F - Strange ticking noise (NOT CC tensioner)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '94 CBR 1000F - Strange ticking noise (NOT CC tensioner)

It's not pinging, it's probably a loose valve - pull the cover and check clearances. Also, get a torque wrench and make sure the exhaust bolts are to spec exhaust leaks can deceive. Do what I did years ago - get a manual and figure it out as you go for me tinkering is half the fun of motorcycling.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:21 AM

Yep, I would try the valve clearances first. They made a kind of ticking on mine. Whilst you are under the cover, check the cam lobes for ANY kind of wear, as wear in the cams/followers can make this kind of a noise. Check for swarf etc, if you find any scoring, even slight, remove the follower and have a butchers at that as well. "Clinky ticking" noises can definitely be caused by top end. Oh yeah, and check that the guy who did the CCT actually tightened everything down properly to the right torque and put the bearing caps on the right way etc etc, never hurts to check!!

Hope that helps a little
Ara

Old 11-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: cbrmark

Nice guys i'll focus on what you've both said above and go from there.

Forgive me for my lack of mechanical knowledge but when you say "stick a tube" up to each of them.... what kind of tube are we talking about?? the first thing that came to mind was a drinking straw
Some parts store sell a stethoscope with a small diameter metal tube instead of the round disk that a doctor would use. A nurse friend of mine gave me a stethoscope that I use a hard piece of plastic tubing in. You can also just take a piece of fuel line or similar tubing and shove one end in your ear and try to get the other end up tight to the collars that hold the pipe to the engine. You have to get real close as the ticking sound gets thrown around and that's why it could sound like it is coming from inside the engine.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:05 AM

Hi, I agree with earlier guys that this sounds very much like valve clearance noise. You have to remove the camshafts to replace the camchain and tensioner (not a difficult job to do yourself), and it sounds like the garage has just put the camshafts back in without adjusting the clearances. This is a common shortcut for dealers. And they'll try to charge you again for adjusting them if you take it back!

My recommendation would be to get yourself a Haynes manual (or similar) and check the valve clearances yourself. It's not a difficult job and I'd be happy to give you a few pointers that aren't in the manual if you wish.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Registered Users
Default '94 CBR 1000F - Strange ticking noise (NOT CC tensioner)

Originally Posted by cbrmark
Hey guys,

Wondering if some of you might have an idea of what this might be.... I've had my bike for nearly 2 yrs now.. when I bought it it had 69,000kms on it, now it has 73,500 so that gives you an indication of just how little i ride her... anyway roughly 1,000kms ago i had the cam chain and tensioner replaced as it would make loud rattle when cold.. shes sweet as when cold now... but over past 1,000kms another noise has surfaced, and has gotten a little louder with time.... it isnt there when bike is cold, but once warmed up, it becomes apparent.

The best way to describe this noise is a tick.tick.tick.tick.tick .... and the ticking gets faster with slight increase in revs.... now.. when its most pronounced / at its loudest is when the bike is under load at low rpms... perfect example is when taking off at a set of lights as you slowly let clutch out... "tick.tick.tick.ticking" is louder under the strain....

HOWEVER, once rpms are above around 3,000rpm? appears this ticking seems to dissapear, though that could just be due to the loudness of the higher rpm engine note washing out the ticking.

Reason i dont feel its CC or tensioner is because i just paid $1000AUD to have these replaced a mere 1000kms ago, plus ticking isnt there (or at least, it a hell of a lot quieter) when bike is cold..... I asked a mate with good mechanical background if its valves ticking, he said nope valves make a tinnier sort of noise but this is a more wholesome "TICK" (if that makes sense?) .. plus 1000kms ago included not only cam chain / tensioner but carbys cleaned and balanced, valve clearances, and stacks of other typical maintainence work done.

Bike's been sitting a lot.. for up to 2 months at a time... engine oil was also changed when all the other work was done... but this is going back around 9 months ago i think (possibly longer) with most of that time sitting... i checked condition of oil, still very new / light brown looking... i run a mineral oil in this bike by the way ... "Shell S4" .. apparently with the cam chain / tensioner issues on these and just the type of design these engines are (being an older bike) they far prefer a mineral.. synthetic can make them even noisier... true/false?!

But getting back to ticking noise.. what are your thoughts on what else it could be? - I wonder if its relative to whats talked about in the following thread (complete with a guide with pictures further into the thread on what to do) ... should i try this or is it likely NOT the cause?!

Ratteling sound from engine solved!!! YAHUU - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

This seems to fix whats known as more of a 'rattle' rather than a 'tick.tick.tick' noise...... which makes me wonder if its relative to my problem.......

I've stopped by 2 different bike shops (one being Honda) and neither of them could directly say what it was... in fact Honda said it might be pinging... but why does it do it in neautral with slight revs? (ie. no load) .. it seems mechanical to me! The guy at the other bike shop just said these CBR1000s have a noisy motor... they always make a bit of funny noise its just the way they're built... i'm sorry but i dont entirely buy that as the bike never used to do it.

/at a loss.. HELP!!
Hi
My bike has the same noise and symptoms - did you ever find out what caused the 'ticking'?
Thanks
Steve

Old 04-21-2015, 03:14 AM

I have the same on my 1990 cbr1000f and would love to find out what it is.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:43 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

downpipe to head gaskets ----- tic tic tic

Old 04-30-2015, 02:48 PM
Registered Users

Hi all.

I got round to finding the problem I had. A constant ticking noise from the top end. No amount of adjustment to the valve clearances worked. So.....measured the tolerances on the intake cam shaft. It was worn down to the service limit. Took that off to find the cam followers (4 of the 8) had worn through the hardening surface. So new intake cam shaft and 8 new followers fitted, clearances done. The noise has gone now, runs great. I measured the exhaust cam shaft, this was still within limits, but I can hear a feint noise, so this will probably need sorting soon. I did the work myself, took half a day. Just had to make sure all the holes were stuffed with cloths so nothing fell into the engine!!