F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Ticking noise in top end

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise in top end

I have a 2001 F4i That I have owned since new.I recently noticed that the bike seemed down on power from about 9500 rpm on up. I dyno'd it, and the power is down for sure. Afterward, I also noticed a pronounced ticking sound from the top end.

The sound seems like I am leaking combustion, like a loose spark plug, or a leaking header gasket. Both are fine. I also checked valve clearance, and it is within spec. Before anyone says CCT, I have a manual tensioner, and I checked from proper adjustment today as well.

The sound is coming from the exhaust side of the of the motor, at or near the top end, and can be heard clearly when the fairings are off. I am beginning the think that it is a broken valve spring. Anyone experience this before?

By the way, the bike has 20,000 plus miles on it.

Tony
kllrvet92@aol.com

Old 08-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Default RE: Ticking noise in top end

sounds like it could be a valve seat, cracked valve, or the valve could simply be gummed up. Springs don't usually break, and it would have been seen when you removed the head cover (the spring would be off center). Aside from that your engine would have completely destroyed the valve by now. How did the bike dyno when it was newer (I hope you're not going by factory numbers to gauge whether or not it's lost power).

Do a compression test.. that should tell you whether or not you have a misbehaving cylinder. If a valve isn't sealing proper you will read lower compression in that cylinder (it will be a noticeable difference to the others). Also check your oil for gasoline fouling, that is a good indicator of engine problems as well. Do all your spark plugs show the same insulator color?

All of these things will show a bad seal in a valve, and they are all things you can do at home. If you need valves, or a seat cut you are looking at big dollars ($1000+) for the repair. You can try some carb cleaner into the exhaust manifold (remove the headers and spray it directly inside the head). It may clean some of the fouling.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:20 PM

I pulled the cams, and I am in the process of pulling the head. One of the intake valve springs on #3 is broken. The valve is pulling through the retainer, and was ready to drop!!

Tony

Old 08-08-2007, 01:48 PM

good thing you caught it when you did! Good luck