F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

01 F4i ticking noise

Old 07-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 01 F4i ticking noise

Hey all...New to the forum. I recently purchased an 01 F4i (22k on it) and I've noticed a ticking noise at both idle and when I am going at speed. I would assume that it is the valves and they need adjusting by I am not 100% sure (it seems to increase and decrease with engine speed)..just wondering what everyone's thoughts would be on this or if anyone else has had a similar issue. I am not sure that I would even call it an issue because the bike runs perfect and the ticking does not effect it at all. I can't say for sure whether or not the valves have had any work done to them or not...Is this normal or something that I should have looked at? Any info./advise anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:38 AM

Some post that start with "I hear a ticking noise" usually need a CCT (Cam-Chain Tensioner) swap, I guess a common problem with F4i's, anywho I'm not totally sure but it does sound like that could be the ticking culprate.
Good luck.

Last edited by Joey_f4i; 07-06-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:27 PM

Ahh..I've read alot of threads that mention the CCT, however, in being new to the F4i I was not sure what to listen for in terms of what kind of sound it made if it needed to be adjusted . The previous owner that I purchased the bike from stated that the CCT had been replaced and that's kind of what made me lean more towards a valve issue. As I stated in my original poste the ticking noise is very minute (and I am hard pressed to call it an issue...more like something that is semi-annoying). Thanks for your response...any other opinions would be appreciated as well!...Thanks again.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:30 PM

Please people, It's called the CCTL (Cam Chain Tensioner Lifter)

Old 07-06-2009, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by DBEAU
Please people, It's called the CCTL (Cam Chain Tensioner Lifter)
nah. I like CCT. Its shorter. lol

Old 07-07-2009, 04:06 PM

It very well could be the valves because with as many miles as you have on your bike your past the manufacturers suggested valve check I think it is at like 17k? But like said above it could be your cct but ive never heard them rattle at idle.. just mainly near 5k but I guess it all depends how wore out it is.

But im leaning towards valves id take it in, and have them checked.. it would be a safe thing to do anyways with 22k.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:49 PM

If it was the CCT. It usually only ticks / rattles at a certain RMP.. It usually doesn't go up with the revs.. Valves do sound like the problem here.. Does it do it worse when its cold or does it go away when its hot?

Old 07-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Default hello

I have the same question my bike has 21,000 miles on it right now. Ever since I bought I don't know if they have done a valve adjustment. How can I tell when I need a valve adjustment because I can tell sometimes I hear some noise from the engine when I rev up but its not that loud. What's the proper way to find out before taking it to a mechanic since some of those guys just lie to you to make some extra cash.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by eljrc16
I have the same question my bike has 21,000 miles on it right now. Ever since I bought I don't know if they have done a valve adjustment. How can I tell when I need a valve adjustment because I can tell sometimes I hear some noise from the engine when I rev up but its not that loud. What's the proper way to find out before taking it to a mechanic since some of those guys just lie to you to make some extra cash.
I really don't think there is a easy way besides taking off the valve covers and physically checking the spaces on the valves. Find a shop with a good reputation and have them checked is my best advice.

Or if possible check your bikes history, who had it before and what shop it was bought from. They would have records of everything.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:29 PM

ticking noice for me is normal on a honda.....i have that noice too but you'll get used to it and its all part of the internal combustion engine......cctl is a rattle that comes and goes when you rev the engine.....i would not worry about the ticking noice.....get some slipon pipes if you dont have them yet....then you can listen to that music..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01 F4i ticking noise