CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

87 honda hurricane clank sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 honda hurricane clank sound

Hi,

Im new to the forum and new to working on a bike. I have ridden them for years tho.

I picked up an 87 hurricane for super cheap. It didnt run but i got it running just by cleaning the carbs.

The motor sounds amazing! Fluid through the rpms. But i hear a clanking noise coming just south of the motor(more middle of bike). The sound sounds like something is jumping around inside. I took it out for a ride and it is smooth to drive, smooth thru the gears. I had the thought that it might be a normal sound but i dont know. Probably not. The guy i bought it from said the tension-er was alittle off when cold. But i dont know what he was referring to. I like the bike and would like to keep it, where should i start with it? the only other thing i noticed was alot of smoke but i think that will go away, that it was sitting and stuff builds up plus the stuff i washed the carbs with, just burning off. I am hoping for an angel here but will take what i can get. Any ideas?

-Aaron

Old 01-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it clanks when cold it's probably the camchain/tensioner.
These bikes are known for it.
The only other items would be a loose drive chain rubbing on the swingarm, or a stretched primary drive chain (which is an engine out job) Mines had a loose primary drive chain for the last 20000 or so and it still runs like a train. The tensioner on the primary drive chain is inclined to break down and cause the clatter.........replacing it is an engine split job.....
Hope this helps.
Welcome to the asylum !

Old 01-20-2012, 02:31 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 for the tensioner being noisey, I run 15w50 oil to help quieten the clatter. As for the smoke, just keep an eye on the oil level and enjoy!

Old 01-20-2012, 10:32 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the others have said, could be the cam-chain tensioner. Most rattle when cold, let it warm up and get the oil circulating with a nice ride and she should quieten down. Heavier oil will help, but so long as it quietens down when hot it's nothing to worry about.

If you want to change the tensioner and chain there's a how too here :-https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-tos-81/cam-chain-tensioner-replacement-103362/

Old 01-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quality and build spec of the cam chain tensioners is a massive variable. I've had 3 on mine to date over the last 45K miles and they all vary in shape and quality. Also the relationship between the CCT and cam chain guide pins is suspect. A good tight relationship will give good results for longer, a bad fit will mean a noisy chain in a very short time after changing the CCT.
Just keep riding and forget about it. The CCT design is great in principle and even if a Friday afternooner will still keep you going.
As Shadow said, if it's your alternator (primary) chain, you need to pull the engine out and fit a new one and a new tensioner. That's an adventure.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you hear that sound when the bike is on the center stand and running in gear !

but is gone when out riding ?

Old 01-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The CCT is more of a rattle sound. The clunk, clunk, clunk sound could be a frozen drive chain link. Every time it passes the front sprocket it could be making the clunk. Puts the noise where you here it.

Like Sprock is asking, when do you hear the noise. Usually the tight drive link makes the clunk when you back off the throttle. Does it make the same noise when you pull the clutch in and the RPM changes? Clunk..clunk....clunk........clunk................ .....clunk..............................clunk
as you come to a stop?

The CCT usually goes away after the bike is warmed up and it fills with oil.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 01-21-2012 at 02:22 PM.