Bikes for Sale This section is just for postings of bikes for sale.

1987 CBR600 Hurricane era project bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 04:22 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 1987 CBR600 Hurricane era project bike

Just coming up for sale a 1987 CBR600 Hurricane era bike, she's been stood in a garage since 2018 as you can see she needs work she's going to need stripping down and going through but apparently the engine is good. The guy selling had it fired up briefly this morning off a jump pack and it sounded ok but by the sounds of things the fuel pump could be blocked and if that's the case the carburetors will need cleaning out maybe also the tank before putting in fresh fuel. Close inspection of the pictures show the forks will need replacing and the rest of the bike cleaning up frame sanding down and spraying etc, so that said she's a project she 'could be brought back and be a good bike for someone or would probably be a useful parts donor so, what's she worth, the bike is located on Cornwall in the UK for anyone interested, have a look at the images and let me know your thoughts.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:11 AM

Now sold for £350 it was in pretty bad shape needing lots of work, money pit springs to mind.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

That would be a steal where I live. I would have jumped all over that. Even if you parted it out and sold it on eBay, the fairings alone would have gone for way more than that.
Decent project bikes in my neck of the woods are almost non-existent.

The following users liked this post:
Cuda (02-09-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 02:49 PM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by hamlin6
That's because you live in the back of beyond - its not called Land's End without reason :-)

The following users liked this post:
dannoxyz (02-09-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Harris
That's because you live in the back of beyond - its not called Land's End without reason :-)
That is actually not far from being true. The term, "you can't get there from here" almost applies.

Old 02-08-2024, 05:15 PM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

That is actually not far from being true. The term, "you can't get there from here" almost applies.
My brother lives in Penzance and my friends just outside St. Just - a beautiful part of the country but very remote.

Old 02-09-2024, 09:55 AM

That would be a steal where I live. I would have jumped all over that. Even if you parted it out and sold it on eBay, the fairings alone would have gone for way more than that.
I just couldn't be bothered with it I have enough on with the CBR I have and the TS250 if I'd have bought it I'd have only ended up wanting to restore it it would have become another money pit that would have taken up time and effort that's why I walked away from it buddy. I've always been a staunch believer in saving resurrecting not ending a bikes "life/existence, if you like by tearing it apart. I tend to see that as being kind of sacrilege it's not something I'm happy doing "unless I originally buy said bike purposely to use as a parts donor for one I have.

When this has happened in the past usually the engine of said machine has been cream crackered and needed a lot of money spent on it or it's been in a wreck with a bent frame or some such so "then, it becomes a much-needed parts donor other than that I prefer to save not end the existence of, so to speak. Can I ask, while something else bike related comes to mind, is anyone else of the opinion or does anyone else believe that "some bikes, seem to take on a personality of their own an essence of "being, if you like?

I've had a hell of a lot of bikes over the years of my being on this earth some of which have been such well loved machines I think you kind of form an unquestionable bond with something that just feels so right performs so flawlessly handles so incredibly well and in some cases so much more above its expected limitations. We've all ridden god knows how many bikes over the years a lot of us are veterans of at least 4 maybe 5 decades worth of riding and with that comes experience. We all ride in all weathers you KNOW how to ride you KNOW your limits and if you've ridden off-road as well as on that experience only adds to your skills but when you've found yourself in a real bad position right out there on the knife edge all of a sudden right outa nowhere is it a definite case of lighting reactions coming into play "or, did she get you out of it without you being able to justify just HOW or how you are still even breathing.

A bike that beyond all logical reasoning develops a life of its own and when you sell that bike it's a GUT WRENCH to the extent of even feeling a loss but you never forget it it always stays right up there with one of the best bikes you have ever had. May sound strange, some may not have a clue what I'm talking about "but, I think 'some will. I've also had one or two very strange things happen to me over the years with at least a couple of different bikes something that again I think to an extent revolves around the bike taking on an essence of its own sometimes good sometimes not so good. Some will read this and just not get it unless you're a die hard motorcyclist of many years I don't think you will but I think some will understand EXACTLY where I'm coming from.

We've all owned some truly great bikes but with the good sometimes comes the bad and I've had my share of those. Two very specific bikes come straight to mind from the list of bad, one bike that had been in SO MANY wrecks over the years with its riders sustaining some pretty awful injuries but was rebuilt each time by the buyer of the said wreck with new frames new forks new front wheel etc then went on to literally try and kill anyone who rode it, I sh*t you not. Then there was another bike that seemingly had a life force "forced onto it, and that WAS pretty out there to the point of me selling that bike IMMEDIATELY when I was told of its history which to me explained everything that had been happening, so, what's your take on all this?