Aftermarket Discuss aftermarket upgrades to your CBR here.

Hacked Elec. Wiring for HIDs and LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hacked Elec. Wiring for HIDs and LEDs

So I have had my 03 RR for about 7 months now and though out owning it I have noticed that who ever installed the HID headlights and LED turns/rear integraded was a HACK! For starters all the connections are made by cutting the wire, twisting the wire and using electrical tape to secure/insulate it. Then comes the HID install...I found the ballests in the truck, one off to each side...I said whatever they work and don't see to be having a problem...Then I noticed the wire that runs to the ballists and back is maybe MAYBE 18 awg...and again hacked with tape for the install. So I set about tonight to start a re-wire. I bought a red and black roll of each, 12, 14 and 18 awg. I bought a crap load of heat shrink and solder....and set about work. Now I have a 12 awg power wire running to each ballist, and 14 awg wires running to the bulb and back. I also hard wired in a battery charger quick disconnect and placed it under my rear seat in a nice bracket. Last I started re-doing the marker lights, I have the whole tail done. My connections are as follows...

Solder, liquid electrical tape on the bare wire/solder, then two layers of heat shrink over that. If the wires all go to the same place, I use a drill to braid all the wires together. Has anyone come across a similar set-up for HIDs? Ballist in the back, and then two wires leading to a little black box near the bulbwhich then has it own wires that go to the bulb? Also anyone in here with electrical knowledge that can tell me if I am okay with the set-up? Is the wire large enought? Do HIDs even pull more power? Less Power? I mean for the past 4,000 miles and whatever before me, they ran off of 20 to 18 awg wire....

Old 02-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have HID on both of my bikes and the ones I have are less power consumption than the stock lights. I use them on my FJR because iI need all the power I can get for farkles like heated clothing and electronics. The hids use 35 watts and the stock are 55-65 watts. Apic of what you have would help but it sounds like youve git it covered.