600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Race Tech Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Tech Suspension

Hey all,

I was wanting to get the opinons and constructive thoughts on RaceTech suspensions. I was thinking of upgrading my 04 600RR's fork springsto a 1.0 kg/mm spring and their "Fork Gold Valve Kit". I did some research already and I know many people will say Ohlins or Traxxion is the way to go,butI am looking for postive or negative feedback on why. If anyone has any positive or negative feedback on RaceTech I would be interested in hearing that also.I have the figures for the RT stuff already, but don't have anything for the cost on Ohlins or Traxx. Cost is a semi issue and I don't want to drop a ton of money on this.

I do regular street riding, but I plan on getting into Track Days starting next year and want a winter project to do. Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Default RE: Race Tech Suspension

i've got racetech forks with gold valves. feels much more planted at high speed corners. doesn't chatter. great upgrade.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:52 PM

Race tech is one of the most popular suspension upgrade manufacturers out there. Not a bad choice at all.

I put Race Tech gold valves and springs in my 07 600RR and love them, especially compared to stock. Expect to spend around $500 to have a set of forks rebuilt with these valves and springs.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:06 PM

great upgrade....smooth on the track, the springs make a huge difference also, just don't try and do urself if u've never done before or don't have a buddy helping u that has....cuz that video they send u makes it look way easier than it is. and once u've done it doing it a 2nd time would be 10x faster.

my buddies all have ohlins and i keep with them just fine. the only difference is ohlins cart. r way easier to put in. and to me thats not worth 1k more. especially for my riding ability and really most of us riders prolly would even be able to tell the difference as long as the settings were right.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:12 PM

ORIGINAL: TWISTED METAL

my buddies all have ohlins and i keep with them just fine. t
there is the possibility that you are just a better rider. dont knock the gear until you know it is the gear. i guarantee that two riders of equal skill on the same bike with the only difference being ohlins, the ohlins will win . when it comes to suspension you get what you pay for.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:11 AM

ORIGINAL: baxsom

ORIGINAL: TWISTED METAL

my buddies all have ohlins and i keep with them just fine. t
there is the possibility that you are just a better rider. dont knock the gear until you know it is the gear. i guarantee that two riders of equal skill on the same bike with the only difference being ohlins, the ohlins will win . when it comes to suspension you get what you pay for.

true....but for the money and being his first suspension upgrade....i'd go with the race tech....unless u don't have budget.....i guess if i was rich i'd have ohlins too.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:06 PM

The Race Tech stuff (and the correct springs) is a definite big improvement over the stock stuff in a 03-04, is it as good as the Ohlins stuff, no. But for an average rider looking to get into track days it's more than good enough. The reason the Ohlins "works" better than the RT is because is replace many more parts as a matched set (the valves adn shims are design to work together of a specific application) vs. the just the Race Tech which the valves have massive flow holes and really rely on the shims to do the work, which limits the adjustability range.

Another option is to have the stock valves and shims re-worked by someone who know what they're doing... I'm just a little bias, but JayBird180 can back me up on this, the guy you want to call and talk to is Ed @ Trackside engineering https://www.tracksideengineering.com...catalog_ms2.2/
He's a master at re-working showa suspensions and can usually do it for very reasonable price.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ed sold the business and is now spinning up the new owner of Trackside Engineering.

Ed installed for me a set of RT springs and gold valves with a custom shim stack for them. He also did a Showa piston for the other way (don't remember if it was comp or reb) I really like it.

Folks esp. in the biz have a lot of crap to say about RT, but they can't be around this long if it was THAT bad....at least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.