600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Performance recommends 600RR

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 05:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Performance recommends 600RR

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

Sorry, didn't read the whole thread, but wouldn't a front suspension swap with an 05-06 model help dramatically? With the inverted forks and all?

But BMG, if you REALLY want to improve performance, take those superbike classes I've been raving about. You can take levels 1, 2, 3 and 4, all at Laguna Seca if you want, AND STILL be way under the price you mentioned.

EDIT:

Just read your above post, and remembered what an instructor at my superbike class mentioned. They do extensively tune the suspension on their bikes, but they said that the skills they were teaching me maximizes traction to their greatest ability.

So, when I got back from the class, my POS Qualifiers (the EXACT same tires they had on their bikes at the school) now magically stuck incredibly well compared to before I took the class. Before the class, I thought these tires were mostly cheap and didn't provide much traction. After the class, it's hard to me to break them loose. So, another +1 to the superbike school. (I should be their spokesperson.)
Hey Blue.

Firstly, the Power Pilots helped dramatically overall, but compared overall to other models and brands of tire, I just don't think, in fact
I know they don't give as much linear feedback up to the very points of ...

"yes, I have traction/grip, " to" Ok, I can feel the edges of the contact rim, meaning the rubber ridge where the contact area ends, of the tire".

Just not as much feedback in a linear fashion.

I will say though that after only about 125 miles on the new Pilots, I have already worn off the chicken strips.

But I wore them off in a very easy, and I was doing much slower times and speeds overall.

I can go faster, at least on the street, on a set of cheaper Avon Viper's I think.

In other words, the performance envelope of the PP's is much...less imo.

Secondly,...Laguna Seca?!!!!!

Are you nuts?

That's only about 2500 miles from my house.

I'll uhhh...sort the suspension that's on there myself by trial and error and in gradual steps.

I understand your point though.

This bike is going to be my Track Day, and occasional ride with some buddies on some good twisty back roads bike.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Superbike school?

Me, uhhh...not ready Daniel san for Superbike training.

Maybe 15-20 years ago...

Old 12-22-2007, 05:56 AM

[/quote]

I'll uhhh...sort the suspension that's on there myself by trial and error and in gradual steps.

[/quote]

yeah good luck with that

Old 12-22-2007, 06:00 AM

ORIGINAL: baxsom

yeah good luck with that
Thanks...even though I sense a bit of (sarcasm?) in that reply perhaps.

I have been working on bikes for years and years, and have the "swing" of being one who is mechanically inclined.

I have not spent a lot of time setting up an RR suspension, in fact only about 5 minutes thus far.

But I will sort it out.

Thanks again.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:04 AM

Well at least aesthetics wise...I think I know what I want...

Hmm...think the first thing I will get is this.

http://www.bikerperformance.com/hot-...-04-p1061.html

Fits: Honda CBR600RR 03-04

Includes:

* ABS Plastic Undertail
* Ceramic Coated "S-bend"
* Ceramic Coated Canister
* All Heat Shielding
* All Mounting Hardware
* Instructions with Photos

Hot Bodies Racing Undertail Exhaust for Honda CBR600RR 03-04
Part Number: 209001

Price: $799.95

Old 12-22-2007, 09:21 AM

One other thing I noticed needing due to occasional headshake coming out of corners under alot of throttle is a steering damper.

Just a cheap one, as I know getting better tires, and setting up the suspension right will do away with 95% of it.

Never hurts to have one.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: bmg velocity

One other thing I noticed needing due to occasional headshake coming out of corners under alot of throttle is a steering damper.

Just a cheap one, as I know getting better tires, and setting up the suspension right will do away with 95% of it.

Never hurts to have one.
Before you get a steering damper, you want to sort out the suspension and ride hieght since most headshakes occur because of suspension settings(or riding style). Using a steering damper to dial out headshake may just be covering up a suspension setting issue.

Not sure if it's been metioned, but, being able to read tire wear gives you insight on suspension setting issues. Check out http://feelthetrack.com/tire-wear.html. You can order a dvd from them that goes in depth regarding suspension set up and how tire wear relates to suspension set up.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:40 PM

ORIGINAL: theredgoose

ORIGINAL: bmg velocity

Never hurts to have one.
Before you get a steering damper, you want to sort out the suspension and ride hieght since most headshakes occur because of suspension settings(or riding style). Using a steering damper to dial out headshake may just be covering up a suspension setting issue.

Not sure if it's been metioned, but, being able to read tire wear gives you insight on suspension setting issues. Check out http://feelthetrack.com/tire-wear.html. You can order a dvd from them that goes in depth regarding suspension set up and how tire wear relates to suspension set up.
Thanks Goose, and you are right in that changing tires, and tire pressure can cause or get rid of headshake.

Appreciate your time and wisdom.