600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Headlights on/off switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 02:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights on/off switch

I'm having some issues with my battery and I believe that HID light hassomething to do with this. If I let the bike for 3-5 days without starting it the battery is almost dead, everything work fine(lights displays)till I press the start button where the bike won't start, I have an oxford charger/optimiser but it sucks getting ready to ride and find out that it doesn't start!!!
So I was thinking has anyone tried to add an on/off switch to the headlights? The problem is that when turning the key and pressing the start button the headlightstays on which reduces battery's power instantly,Suzuki's GSXR headlight turns off automaticaly when pressing start button.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Default RE: Headlights on/off switch

ya i got a kill switch for my lights got it for both fronts and rears. works great easy to do just have to tap into the head light wires. on my 07 cbr600rr the head light wire from a main harness is on the right side of the bike jus make sure u test the wires before u cut into them and connect the switch. they work great its awesome ridin at night than flick the switch n be stealth scary stuff tho man.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:34 PM

Your headlight doesn't turn off when starting? Mine does. I guess this is only on the RR?

Old 09-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the headlamps on the older RR's turn off when cranking too. I'm not sure about the 03-04 models, but the 05-06 models shut off when cranking, as do the 07-08 models. If the 03/04 models stayed on when cranking, I would add a cut-off switch like I did (just because I wanted the ability to kill the lights to use my LED's as parking lights). If they now stay on because you added the HID's, something is wired wrong, because the HID's should be getting their power from the headlamp harness.

It's not your HID's (unless you are shorting somewhere). My dealer was persistent that my battery problem was the cause of my HID's. So I took them off for an entire month and continued to have problems.

Then they told me it was a short in the wiring of my aftermarket turnsignals/taillight, etc. So I removed absolutely everything from the bike and ran it bone stock for another 2 weeks. CONTINUED to have problems.

Every time I took the bike in to have it checked, the battery would pass the tests, as would the charging system....so I was told "all is fine, there's nothing to fix".

I eventually got fed up riding the bike 70 miles to the dealer, having everything check out and given the okay, then when I get home from that 70 mile return trip, the battery was dead flat. (and man, what a heated phone call I made back to them)

So guess what? It was the battery all along. It passed every test but the obvious one............my own.............here's how I did it.

On the 07/08's, you can flip the kill switch and it'll just continue to crank without starting. So I had the battery charged to 100%, then had the dealer watch me crank it continuously for 15 seconds.........and then it was dead completely. They made up excuses saying that was normal. So we then went inside and used one of their floor model 08's and did the same thing. I never lost charge, even after numerous 15 second cranks, and leaving the headlamps/high beams on for 10 minutes.

My bets are on a "going bad" battery.

Hope this helps. But yeah, it's NOT the HID's unless they're wired some crazy way (because the only way they get power is through the headlamp harness, so they can't short if the bike isn't turned on.)

Old 09-30-2008, 04:13 AM

HID is connected to the headlamp harness as it should ,
I think the problem is that the headlamp stays on while cranking, even before fittting the HID healightstayed on, thereis a blink becauseof the cranking but itclearly isn't something automatic.
Any feeback from other 03-04 owners???

Also how aftermarket turning signals can affect battery?
A friendtold me that the alarm might be the problem, even if the alarm is off (disabled) it might be the problem of loosing power.
Anyway I bought a new battery because the oneI had wouldn't charge.

Could you upload few pics of the cut off switch to get an idea where to place it?

Old 09-30-2008, 04:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 07white600rr

ya i got a kill switch for my lights got it for both fronts and rears. works great easy to do just have to tap into the head light wires. on my 07 cbr600rr the head light wire from a main harness is on the right side of the bike jus make sure u test the wires before u cut into them and connect the switch. they work great its awesome ridin at night than flick the switch n be stealth scary stuff tho man.
That's one of the stupidest things ever posted here.

HID's aren't the problem, the alarm *might* be because it's actually active when the bike is off.