F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Engine stops when I switch on the headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:55 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine stops when I switch on the headlights

Hi all ... I have a problem with may 2001 CBR F4i fuel injected and I can not figure out what is the source of it. Things are like this:

1. Some time ago I had a little accident and the bike felt on the left side. The front cowl fairing + the headlights had to be removed from the bike to see if there is something broken underneath – luckily everything was ok.
2. After accident and reassembly there was a problem with the headlights. The problem is as follows: I switch the contact on, the injection in loading and I can start the engine and engine starts and goes smoothly with no problems. As soon as I switch on the headlights (position or short beam) it shuts the engine off but without igniting the headlights. After I switch the headlights off the injection recharges and I can start the engine again eith no problems.

Details:
- I took off the front cowl fairing + the headlights and made sure all the jacks were connected ok. I disconnected the main plug and give it a good spray with WD40. And the problem was solved. I was glad that everything was ok, I installed everything back on the bike and went for a short ride with headlights on. But the next day when I wanted to ride again I started the bike with headlights on but after 5m again the engine stopped and lights off.
- For the second time I took off the front cowl fairing + the headlights and greased all contacts. And everything went ok and the engine started with headlights on. I installed everything back and I even 2 rides in 2 consecutive days. But last night after a short I stopped the engine a bit and when I wanted to start the bike again ... the problem returned.

What can be the problem?

Old 10-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If this was my issue, I would first get my voltage tester/continuity tester out. I would start with the basics at the battery checking voltages whilst off and running, lights on if you can aswell (you do say she sometimes runs with the lights on ) . It sounds like an electrical issue so I would like to prove I had a healthy one to start with. If the battery and charging system proved good, the next step would be what sounds like the start of your probz. The "little accident" that caused you to remove the front cowl and headlights. I would remove them again disconnect the lot, and everything else you unplugged. You could now start testing the loom as best you can with the continuity tester. Do all you can here and the solution might pop up for you. If you have exhausted your testing, start the bike again and toggle the switch to what would put your lights on. One at a time, reconnect your lights etc and hopefully as you reconnect, one of those plugs, shes gonna cut out. Well mate, thats what I`d do......then sit down in a chair when I couldnt get it to work and have a can....sleep on it....and try something else the next day !! Best of luck mate....hope you get her sorted

Old 10-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

by headlight switch, do you mean your highbeams? Id check to see if the alternator is working properly. otherwise, it sounds like an electrical short, maybe a bad grounding somewhere.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:10 PM

Hi there, I have exactly the same problem, I just wanted to ask you how have you done it at the end?

Old 05-11-2020, 03:57 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

lol he never replied to people trying to help him 8yrs ago why would you think he would now?

High beam killing the engine is a short inside the handlebar housing 90% of the time.

The following users liked this post:
SkyRover (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 01:25 PM

Yeah seems like busy)

Thank you for your answer. Btw any chance you may know where exactly inside the handlebar?

Regards

Old 05-13-2020, 01:33 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

He said inside the handlebar HOUSING, that's the part that the switch is mounted to and comes off by removing a few screws.

SkyRover (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 01:50 PM

Thank you for your answer!

So what I checked was the right handle where is the switch of the light. I opened it and cleaned it. However, I have not checked the left handle where is the beam light switch. I also checked the battery with the ignition on and off. I opened the front fairing and checked almost all the contacts as far as I could see.

So shall I check the left handle where the beam light is?

Regards

Old 05-13-2020, 04:37 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, check the switch the controls where the problem is coming from lol.
Its usually a solder connection if I remember correctly that's coming undone.

SkyRover (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 04:30 AM

Thank you for your answer!

I'll do that and I'll let you know if I find out the problem

Regards,

Quick Reply: Engine stops when I switch on the headlights