600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Akrapovic Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Akrapovic Exhaust

I saw some stuff about this company on another thread and checked out the site. Can anyone tell me why most of their exhaust systems are not street legal? What are the ramifications of not having a street legal exhaust? Does it have to do with emissions regs? Is it a noise thing?

Please keep in mind that my CBR 600RR is completely stock and I intend to keep it that way. First, I am still a novice, and I am not going to go for mods until I am completely experienced and comfortable with that stock bike. Also, my bike is about to be shipped to Germany, ridden in that country for a few years, then shipped back. I hear that a stock CBR 600RR will not require any modification to conform to German laws. But since all kinds of inspectors will be looking at my bike going in to and coming out of Germany, I just don't want to mess with it.

Anyway, my explanation above is to keep you techies from trying to advise me about whether Akrapovic is good or not or in some other way try to tell me how I should or should not mod my bike. The bike is not being modded. I am just learning about mods in order to be generally informed and plan for the far future when I come back from Germany in several years with tens of thousands of miles of riding experience and am ready to make my race replica into a serious track machine. (Right now I am just doing sport touring stuff).

Anyway, if anyone could tell me what distinguishes a street legal exhaust from a not-street legal exhaust and give me an idea of the effects of the various perfomance exhaust mods, I would very greatly appreciate the information.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Default RE: Akrapovic Exhaust

Hey, this is what I've found... off of the "Frequently asked questions" section on "Two Brothers Racing"'s website.

Are aftermarket exhaust systems street legal?
No, a common misconception is that some aftermarket systems are legal while others are not. Currently no City, State or Federally approved motorcycle aftermarket exhaust system exists in the U.S. market. Our exhaust systems are for racing purposes only.

That doesn't give you a "why"... but a "they just aren't". I would assume it would be noise level. There are some pretty stingy requirements on noise level and exhaust sound. (And, it's based on decible level based at a certain RPM, as per my exhaust information inscribed from the factory on my old Honda Rebel)

Old 08-06-2007, 06:18 PM

Thanks for that info.

So if I pick up an aftermarket exhaust, am I going to get tickets? Are they all so loud? Will everybody know I have a racing exhaust? Do a lot of people run their bikes around on the streets with aftermarket exhausts? Do they get busted?

Old 08-06-2007, 07:07 PM

A lot of bikes run with aftermarket pipes. When you cruise by, ppl will look at you. It attracts a lot of attention (good/bad). If a cop really wants to, they can issue tickets for every sport bike out there with aftermarket exhausts. But they generally don't...unless you're acting stupid with the exhaust (revving, etc).

Old 08-06-2007, 07:09 PM

OK I am getting the picture. Thanks.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:04 PM

i have read that some states are starting to really enforce the aftermarket exhaust thing
only on sportbikes though
no one seems to care about loud as harleys

Old 08-06-2007, 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: baxsom

i have read that some states are starting to really enforce the aftermarket exhaust thing
I'll never understand that. I can't begin to talk about how loud those Harley's and other cruisers get...it's unbelievable!

Old 08-14-2007, 02:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Mchu86

ORIGINAL: baxsom

I'll never understand that. I can't begin to talk about how loud those Harley's and other cruisers get...it's unbelievable!
No Kidding. That goes for Harley cop bikes too. We get the bad rep because of our higher frequency.