600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

'03 600rr looking to do some mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 600rr looking to do some mods

I've had my 600rr since April of last year. It was a blast to ride last year stock but I want something a little bit more fun now. So I'm looking to do some mods to mine but not sure what exactly to do. I already have the appearance mods I want to do pretty much taken care of, just need to put them on (flush mounts, frame sliders/swingarm spools, integrated tail).

I think I want to get sprockets for it, but I do a LOT of highway riding (since school is ~200 miles from home its a lot cheaper to take the bike and more fun too!) so I dont want to go with anything too crazy. I was thinking of maybe just going +2 in the rear? I'm also wondering, can I change the sprockets without needing a new chain? I'd like to not have to invest in a chain as well if it can be done without doing so, if I have to get one its no big deal though.

I'm also pretty sure I'm going to get a power commander, I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience doing tuning with the power commanders. What kind of adjustments can be made on your own, and what all exactly can you change with it? I do a lot of tuning of cars for people (actually make a good amount of money tuning cars on the side), but I'm sure this is a whole new boat, so I'm wondering if you guys just use the maps they come with or if you guys make your own. I'm not familiar with them at all so please correct me if it seems I'm not understanding how it works.

Other than that I know I want a pipe, but is there a good place to get them other than ebay? I saw a vid of a 600rr with a KR tuned exhaust on it but I'm not sure where to get one or how much they cost. Does anyone have any suggestions on exhausts?

Are there any other things you guys would suggest? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on it, just wanna change some things up to make it my own and enjoy it a bit more.

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Default RE: '03 600rr looking to do some mods

Sprockets are real fun, and to answer your highway questions, try googling a gearing calculator.. it will help you in making a decision, but +2 in the back is safe, and wont kill your top end... Im -1/+1 and i love it which is = to about +4. Basically 1 in the front is equal to 3 in the back, regardless of direction.... Also, you can keep your stock chain, as long as you get sprockets in the correct pitch.

Although it is not necessary, if you are going to to do the PCIII power commander, it is recommended that you do your air filter, and go with a full pipe instead of a slip on. This will allow you to have the greatest gains from your new engine map. It will however end up costing you a pretty penny... As far as the mapping goes, I think they come with some stock maps, but you can have it professionally done for peal performance. I dont own this however, so im not going to lie... someone will respond here with more information on that if you give it some time. I would check indysuperbikes.com or motorcycletoystore.com for parts, they are great and quick.

Hope that gets your started...

Old 01-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Default RE: '03 600rr looking to do some mods

As far as an air filter are you talking about just like a K&N filter, or like a complete intake? I would like to do some sort of aftermarket air intake but haven't been able to find any so I'm not sure if they are even available.

Thanks for the help so far.