1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

Buying an RR6

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an RR6

I have seen a winning red RR6 for a decent price in the uk and am going down to the dealer tomorrow to hammer out a price, now a few questions.

1. Given the time of year and the general world wide recession do you think i can still get some knocked off the price, even if i think its a decent price anyway ?

2. Its only done 7,000 miles but what should i ensure has been done on it, any recalls etc

3. What mods do you recommend, i was going to get some pazzo levers, it already has a tail tidy and after market can (but this will be getting changed back to original), what do you guys think of R and G crash bungs ?? I will be using it to commute to work, so comfort mods are all in order here. What bar risers do you use ? What about Gilles rear sets, do they help with comfort or just racing ?

4. Any thing else i need to consider.

Thanks a lot guys, you have already been a real help, i have only been riding 4 years, and this is my first sports bike so i am a little nervous (but excited as well).

Old 01-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the 06 model i dont think there are any recalls, the 05 had problems with the stator. It never hurts to ask whats the lowest you can go. Considering you are spending a good chunk of cash they should be willing to work with you. Ask about the previous owner, if there are any receipts to go with the bike. It should give you an idea of what the bikes life was like.

I dont know about bar risers, but you might also consider a seat. Pazzo levers are something i will be looking forward to getting in the future. I have sato frame sliders.

If they wont budge on the price see if you can get a new set of tires thrown on or something like that.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

re: dealer knockoff - I doubt a dealer is going to give you a huge discount. If you roll in there with XXXX pounds in hand (500-1000 less than their asking price or whatever you decide is fair), it's a little easier to say, "This is what I have, take it or leave it." But you have to be ready to walk out the door if they say no. I've done it before and had the salesperson come running to the door when they realized I was serious (and they decided it was in their best interest to take my offer...lol). All things considered, if you feel it is a fair price (compared to other dealer prices and/or private party prices), I'd say you probably won't have much luck getting a whole lot off the asking price. Maybe if it was an 2009 or 2010 leftover, you might get $1000 off or so, but from what I've been hearing in the states, dealerships are actually buying more and more inventory because they are having troubles keeping their stock up. Not sure what is going on, but apparently someone is buying!!!

re: recalls - definitely ask about the fuel tank vent recall. That's a big one. You can actually just grab the vin number and call Honda to see if the recall has been done if the dealer can't pull it up. However, if this is a reputable dealer, they will be able to pull it up in the system right away (if they haven't looked into the matter already).

re: mods - if you are commuting, I'd say go with an aftermarket seat. I bought a Corbin seat and did a 1000km trip with the seat and was much happier with that seat over the stock one. Even for short trips, it's worth every penny. I bought the passenger one as well and my girlfriend loves it.

Bar risers would be my second recommendation. If the bike doesn't have frame sliders, you might want to grab a set just to be on the safe side.

Unless you are uncomfortable with the stock rearsets, I'd say don't waste your money ...at least, not yet anyway. Try the bike out and see what you think of it first, then start to mod. Remember, the more you mod, the less you ride. hahhhaha. I'm doing an engine build on my track bike and I've had her ripped apart since last fall. Just keep doing more and more. I can't help myself. I think it's a build curse or something. I just keep modding and modding and modding.

Well, good luck with the bike and let us know if you manage to get her for a deal! Post up some pix if so!