Track Techniques Smooth and fast around the track. Share your track knowledge with the masses.
View Poll Results: Invest in the California Superbike School 2 day camp?
Yes
80.00%
No
20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

California Superbike 2 day camp or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:10 PM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Misti
What school is that?
It's local Hawaii school. Jack's motorcycle safety school.
They are doing it in military base so it was available to only military people, but they got permission to do civilians as well.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
It's local Hawaii school. Jack's motorcycle safety school.
They are doing it in military base so it was available to only military people, but they got permission to do civilians as well.
Gotcha, thanks. I've done some of the military schools with Keith and they are fantastic

Old 09-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcbr
What does Keith say?
I'll ask him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Think its easier and faster to learn new good habits than to unlearn bad ones. I mean how much time do you waste going "nonono, I told you not like that"?
This is what I think as well. I often hear people saying that you should do track days first to get a feel for the track before you go to a riding school but I think it should be the other way around. I think you should do a riding school first in order to get a good handle on proper riding technique in a controlled environment and then take it to the track. When you go to a track day AFTER a riding school you will have a good idea of things to work on and areas that you need improvement on instead of just riding around developing bad habits

When I first started riding I never took any riding classes and while I was quick, I had no idea what I was doing. I started racing and doing track days and it wasn't until after a year that I took the California Superbike School as a student (before I ever became a coach). I had such a hard time unlearning all the bad habits I had picked up in that year of racing/riding and I also had several crashes (due to poor technique). Once I had a solid foundation of the proper way to ride, I was able to take the time during race practice and track days to work on those skills and improve my riding.

I also think that a school environment is a little less intimidating if it is your first time ever on a track. At a school they will walk you through all aspects of riding on a track while at the same time giving you the proper tools to do it correctly.

Misti

I am not a proponent of schools for riding. They are conceived to do one of two things. To satisfy some requirement, ie. licensing for CCS or to make money. This school has the notoriety of being named and ran by keith code, and with that the exclusivity of a 2300$ price tag. The school is designed to make better riders, if and only if you can fork out a season of td funds

Old 10-24-2013, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by cbr.karl
I am not a proponent of schools for riding. They are conceived to do one of two things. To satisfy some requirement, ie. licensing for CCS or to make money. This school has the notoriety of being named and ran by keith code, and with that the exclusivity of a 2300$ price tag. The school is designed to make better riders, if and only if you can fork out a season of td funds
Keith started the school because he had a passion for researching and learning about riding technique and the rare ability to pass it onto other riders in a manner that helped them improve drastically. He then grew that into a credible business that makes money yes, but that also helps thousands and thousands of riders become better and have a kick *** time doing it.

You are mistaken as well about the price tag, the $2300 amount is for the two day riding camp which includes 5 seminars, 7 riding sessions per day, a 2:1 student/coach ratio, video review, breakfast, lunch, all snacks, water, use of our BMW S1000 machines, riding gear and helmets and use of all Keith's off track training bikes.

There are single day riding school options that cost around $400 per day if riding your own bike and $600 per day if riding the school bikes which is comparable to other riding schools or track day organizations that also offer riding instruction. During a single day you get 5 seminars, 5 riding sessions, 3:1 student/coach ratio, use of one of the off track training bikes. Coaches follow and lead their students every session out and then debrief with them afterwards.

To be perfectly honest, to pay $400-600 for a single day riding school that is going to teach you solid fundamentals and improve your riding skills immensely (which will also reduce the likelihood of a crash or detrimental riding mistake) is pretty worth it to me. People spend hundreds on fitting their bikes with new pipes or the latest bling, yet balk at the idea of spending the same amount on improving their own riding.

If you have any further questions about CSS that you want clarified please ask me. I've been coaching with them for the past 10 years and the gratification I receive from seeing my students improve and have fun doing it is the NUMBER ONE reason why I coach and why I love my job so much.

Misti