How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How to bypass the fan

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to bypass the fan

I am trying to figure out on how to bypass the fan, it won't kick on till it gets about 3/4 temp of the 1999 honda cbr f4 gauge. I want to add a switchin order for me to control the fan when i want it on or off. Are you able to help me instruct me on how to do it? I wan tto be able to turn the fan on at the half temp because right now i am living in Saint petersburg Fla, it sure do get hot down here.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:52 AM
Default RE: How to bypass the fan

I could look at the wiring diagram and most likely tell you how....but why would you want to? I mean really hot weather is hot weather, i was out riding in 108 degree weather just the other day, fan kicked on when it should. If your insistent on doing it let me know and i'll take a look.....but, honestly the fan should kick on and off when it needs to, if there is a cooling issue than that should be addressed.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:58 AM

I understand what you're saying but at this point that my bike doesn't relaly run well when it's pass 1/2 so that's why i want to be sure to keep my bike cooler than it should be in order for it to ride better. I will have to flush out the radiator that i know for sure.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:57 PM

Go to an auto parts store and they sell switches with instructions in the package(always buy some wire, my bike uses 14ga i think.). Some bike shops also sell prewired switches(made for LEDs).

Old 07-17-2008, 11:57 PM

well i can tell you how to do it on the f4i, wich should be pretty similar to the f4, if not the same. on the radiator there should be a little switch inside that a wire goes to, simply pull the wire out, connect it to one side of your switch, then connect a wire with a ring terminal to a grounded bolt and to the other side of your switch. you can test this method by pulling out the wire and just grounding it by touching it to the radiator. that should be pretty much it. PM if you need more help.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: axsys
on the radiator there should be a little switch inside that a wire goes to, simply pull the wire out, conn3ct it to one side of your switch, then conn3ct a wire with a ring terminal to a grounded bolt and to the other side of your switch
Wh!le this will work, I do not suggest it. If you forget to turn the fan on, you will be walking the bike home!!

ORIGINAL: axsys
you can test this method by pulling out the wire and just grounding it by touching it to the radiator
Do NOT touch the wire to your radiator. It has been known to blow a hole in them!! Test it on the frame of the bike, or another metal part of the bike.

Look for part no.23 that is your thermostatic switch. http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot.../m2048sch14430

Tap (splice) into the wire that connects to the thermostatic switch. Now run your wire to one side of your override switch. The other side of the switch should be ran to any metal part of the bike.

Keeping the original wire hooked up the the thermostatic switch will keep the cooling system functioning as it should. This will save your butt should you forget to turn the fan on.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:23 PM

i doubt that a little wire can blow a hole threw metal...

Old 07-20-2008, 10:22 PM

The metal on a radiator is very, very thin. If it was thick, it would retain heat more so than dissipate it. The sides of the radiator are a bit thicker, but even so, they are susceptible to being punctured, even by a wire shorting out on it. ~ I speak from experience.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:56 PM

I agree with 92CBR600F2. You should have your switch running in parallel to the current fan switch circuit. That way you can turn the fan on manually and it will always comeon but if you forget to turn the switch on, once the the temp comes up it will still automatically come on as it should. A sort of failsafe.

CBRaceRR