How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

how to get factory finish quality with spray cans....

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to get factory finish quality with spray cans....

ok guys, this is going to be my first how to section....im taking my 1992 cbr f2 gp that used to be called buster and renaming him the "killer b's" yes plural.....do a search on killer b's and houston texas, it will make alot more sense.

most people think that you have to drop GOBS of cash to get a professional looking , custom paint job. This is not the case. I'm going to spend the next few weeks updating this thread to show you how to do it for UNDER $100!
no f'n joke kiddies.

heres what i started with yesterday afternoon....
Name:  bike.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  9.4 KB

looks alot nicer in the pic than in real life.
the whole front end is gloss and heavily laquered/flattened/cleared. the tail is flat black, hand laid race fairing fiberglass.

here it is after 5 hours wowrk last night(sorry for the crappy pic....it was getting dark when i finished up the tail...)

Name:  ugly.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  6.2 KB

I will be getting ALOT of high res pics from now on to follow up on this project and probably updating this thread every other day.

the next post will contain the actual "how to" and step by step pics of my methodology. remember, were getting a custom quality job from spray cans here..."think wet"
this method DOES TAKE TIME....ALOT of it....

you will need to remember the 3 p's of painting and follow them very strictly to get anywhere nearthe results i will be showing.
1.patience
2.practice
3.preperation

patience-the not giva****tedness it will require to drop 50 hours on a paint job

practice-a good tip....before you try anything on your bike....PAINT A PLASTIC LAWN-CHAIR. Sounds ridiculous huh? not really, actual factory fairings are very similiar to the makeup of a medimum qualityPLASTIC lawnchair. if your technique doesnt look right sitting on your patio, why would you want people to see you riding it in public?

preperation-this is the ultimate essential...when you think you have the surface exactly the way you want it to look....FORGET IT! see with your hands....take the gloves off, and if you can feel imperfections, you WILL see them.....

I will be going MUCH MORE into detail over the next month or so, when i'm finished you will see the one off custom
"Killer B's"

Old 09-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: how to get factory finish quality with spray cans....

well, you've peaked my interest...can't wait to see how the project comes along

Old 09-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good pix would be a plus 8)

Old 09-28-2007, 12:29 AM

90% of a paint job is in the prep work, besides that, if you know how to lay down paint its very easy to get a very good paint job with rattle cans. i am a bodymen, i paint for a living, i painted one of my old bikes with spray paint because my buddy bet me i couldnt make it look decent, i won 100 bucks and he had me do his! good luck man

Old 09-28-2007, 01:21 AM

looking good aint the prob, its the durablity. but when on a budget tho lol

Old 09-28-2007, 05:42 AM

when using spray paint, i dont think durability is really something that has entered anyones head, its a quick cheap fix.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:31 AM

well, its been raining in texas for the last two days, and judging by peoples reaction to this post theres no point to continuing my how too.

end thread.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:38 AM

MORE..........DAMNIT!!!! [sm=boosign.gif]

Old 09-28-2007, 11:57 AM

ORIGINAL: thomasintexas

well, its been raining in texas for the last two days, and judging by peoples reaction to this post theres no point to continuing my how too.

end thread.
no no please continue. When on a budget this is a geat way to go and alot of ppl dont think you can get a good finish. So do continue. 8)

Old 09-28-2007, 01:46 PM

I have saw some great paint jobs with paint cans....my friend done his old bike that way and looked great. Although he use to paint cars, he told me the key is in the prep work...

Please continue...cant wait to see the finished product!

Quick Reply: how to get factory finish quality with spray cans....