F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My breaks are making noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My breaks are making noise

if its a metal to metal grinding while you are rolling and not using the brakes then the disc/rotors could be warped

Old 08-11-2007, 11:38 AM

Sounds like the pads are worn to the backing plates and you've used them that way long enough to damage the rotor. I bet the backing plates are resting against the rotor surface. Sounds like you'll need new pads and rotors. I just hope the heat transfer hasn't hurt the caliper piston seals yet. I'd take the caliper off and at least look at the pads ASAP. If they're down to the metal plate making direct contact with your rotors you're going to need new ones. If you can do it yourself you'll save a lot of money...but if you aren't up for it get your bike to the dealer ASAP to take a look at it. You don't want to ride it this way...trust me.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: ridinsolowx15

if its a metal to metal grinding while you are rolling and not using the brakes then the disc/rotors could be warped
I didn't think about it like that. Good Idea.
How hard is it to swap the Front Rotors?
I have a spare used, but seems fine, set of rotors i might swap out.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: jmdaley

Sounds like the pads are worn to the backing plates and you've used them that way long enough to damage the rotor. I bet the backing plates are resting against the rotor surface. Sounds like you'll need new pads and rotors. I just hope the heat transfer hasn't hurt the caliper piston seals yet. I'd take the caliper off and at least look at the pads ASAP. If they're down to the metal plate making direct contact with your rotors you're going to need new ones. If you can do it yourself you'll save a lot of money...but if you aren't up for it get your bike to the dealer ASAP to take a look at it. You don't want to ride it this way...trust me.
OOH NUTS! yeah where i can purchase new OEM brake pads at low cost?
I plan to do it myself to save money, on top of that, dont think i have money for new rotors, so might just replace the rotorswith the used spare i have.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:09 PM

Have you adjusted your front break lever closer to the grip? I done this and i guess went a little far and heard that grinding noise on a free roll. Rolled the adjuster out a couple turns and it was gone.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:57 PM

No i did not adjust the brake lever.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:17 AM

the brakes should make a very quiet noise when just rolling and not braking. disc brakes usually have slight contact with the rotors while not being used so it always makes a little bit of noise. but if they are squeaking and you have cleaned the rotors and made sure there is nothing in the pads, then i would say the first thing to check do is just buy some new pads. its cheaper than replacing a rotor and easier to replace. sometimes pads just start squeaking after a while, ive had it happen to me. just dont forget to put some disc brake adhesive between the back of the pad and the piston so that it doesnt start floating in the caliper.
________
Zx14 vs hayabusa

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:06 PM

its probally just some sand or something in the pads that is rubbing. i hear the ssame "squeak" while riding and i still have pad left.. and i have been riding stoppies and what not a bit more recently, so they still grab! ha