CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New Project: Find the Washer in the Crankcase

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Project: Find the Washer in the Crankcase

Yeah, so I was pulling out the alt, and the damn plate in front of it stayed and the starter clutch and gear didn't go anywhere but the damn bushing and washer in front of it fell down in to the bottom of the casing. I guess I need to try either using a magnet to fetch it or maybe it's time to pull the motor out and just start a complete overhaul. I'd like to do the latter but that takes more time and probably some more money. If I can't get the washer out then I guess that's my only choice.

Arg!

Old 06-08-2010, 01:39 AM
Ride of the Year ... Just Ask The Boys

I feel for you Cyber Trip, bugger of a job or so it turns out.
You could always try and just take the sump pan off and see if you can find the washer.

Aussie Johnno

Old 06-08-2010, 01:40 AM

Oh the sump pan! I didn't even think of that. Thanks!

Old 06-08-2010, 04:53 AM
Ride of the Year ... Just Ask The Boys

If you go down this path, just make sure you keep a check of which bolt go where, they are different in length.

My suggestion is to cut a piece of cardboard similar to the sump shape, as you undo a bolt poke it through the cardboard in a similar position from where it came, so that when it comes time to re install, all bolts will go back to their correct location.

Good Luck

Aussie Johnno

Old 06-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CyberTrip. I also sypathise with your plight mate. There's a sick moment where it all goes slow motion and you just know what's about to happen. Great tip with the cardboard Johnno!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a sick moment where it all goes slow motion and you just know what's about to happen.
I especially like when you get to watch it bounce and then fall into the worst possible place. Or better yet, you try to catch it and just make it worse...

and +1 on the cardboard thing. Nice idea.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Piece of "fish wire" with attached mini neodymium ring magnet

Go fish before pulling apart

Old 06-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep! The sump pan will expose a lot inside the engine. I know because I dropped a nut while changing the CCT. I covered the top of the engine so this kind of thing would not happen but it did. The nut bounced off several things and went under the towel. To pull the sump pan you need to pull the pipes. To pull the pipes you need to pull the radiator back. To pull the radiator back you need to pull the plastic.

I did not find the nut in the sump BTW. After putting my reading glasses on I found the nut sitting on top of the engine. Yep! That sucked. I had to put it all back together again.

Look every where first. If you know for sure that it went in. Try a magnetic retriever first as mentioned.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:21 AM

Mission complete!

I didn't drop the sump pan. What I did was purchase a flexible magnetic pick up tool. It even has an LED on the end to see where it is going. It picked the washer up easy but the collar was a challenge as it fell further back. I had to use something to move it. I found a hard piece of plastic to use as a stick. I pulled the collar back towards me and got it with the magnet. Woohoo! The bike still won't start though.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
I especially like when you get to watch it bounce and then fall into the worst possible place. Or better yet, you try to catch it and just make it worse...

and +1 on the cardboard thing. Nice idea.
Haha, when I was pulling the alt out I saw that the plate and starter clutch were still in there and I was like wtf. Then I heard a clunk and at that moment I let out a loud FU#!. I think I said it like 10 times too.