Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

I want to learn!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to learn!!

Hey I'm Evan and new to the forum....I really want to get into bike racing and really am not sure where to start. I have been riding for 5 years and took and riding course which was pretty much the basics to get my license...I feel really comfortable on a bike and would like to start racing. I have a lot of questions so forgive me...

What different classes are there for Racing?

What is required for me to race (clothing/money ect ect?)

What is required of my bike (race plastics/lights/tires/safety gear ect ect)

Do I need a bike strictly for Racing?

What are good classes/courses to take in my area? (I live in NY Dutchess County)

I do not have a bike yet to race with...I currently have a Harley which I will post pics shortly which Im probably going to sell and try and pick up a Honda. Any recommendations or things to look for?

Thanks in advance guys!

-Evan-

Old 09-14-2010, 01:11 PM

Welcome to the forum!
That's great that you want to try out racing; but it sounds like you should try out some track days to see if you like it, before you sign up for a race.... You can very easy find track day schools in your area. 'Search in Google'. They go for about $150 to $200 here in AZ.
For your questions:

*What different classes are there for Racing?
A lot! Check out this link for the
OFFICIAL ASRA/CCS ROAD RACE PRE-ENTRY FORM
http://www.ccsracing.us/forms/2010/m...r%20packet.pdf
This link will probably answer most of your racing questions.
You should also check out these links for more information, + cool pics/videos
http://www.ccsracing.us/
http://www.amaproracing.com/rr/

*What is required for me to race (clothing/money ect ect?)
1. HELMET - An UNDAMAGED full-faced helmet.
2. GLOVES - Full leather gloves that leave NO EXPOSED SKIN on the hands or wrist.
3. BOOTS - Over the ankle boots, preferably leather.
4. LEATHERS - most track days will let you rent these if you don’t own any.
5. MONEY - This really depend what club you want to join. It isn’t cheap.

*What is required of my bike (race plastics/lights/tires/safety gear ect ect)
1. Your mirrors must be completely taped and folded in, if possible. Personally, I recommend removing them completely as it is one less thing to break if you crash.
2. Headlights and taillights must be COMPLETELY taped over. If you are leaving the turn signals on, please tape them over as well.
3. Make sure that all other fasteners (body hardware, brake caliper bolts, etc.) are properly tightened.
4. Tires must be in GOOD condition with plenty of tread remaining.
5. Chain or Belt must be in GOOD condition with no signs of RUST or DEGRADATION and adjusted properly.
6. All levers and controls must operate freely. Throttle must SNAP BACK to the off position when released.
7. Intermediate and Advanced Groups ONLY. If your bike is water cooled, Remove the anti-freeze and replace it with straight water, or water with a water pump lubricant such as WaterWetter by RED LINE.

*Do I need a bike strictly for Racing?
Yes! More bikes = More fun

*What are good classes/courses to take in my area? (I live in NY Dutchess County)
Team Promotion (www.teampromotion.com), NESBA (www.nesba.com), Sportbiketracktime (www.sportbiketracktime.com), and Champion Sportbike Club (www.championsportbikeclub.com).
You can check these out for free.
They all have their pros and cons. In order to ride, you must be a member of the club. Some, like NESBA, have a "try the track" day where you can ride a session or two without joining. All have instruction of some sort for track newbies. They also have instructors to help out intermediate and advanced riders as well. Most run 3 groups: Novice, Intermediate, Advanced.

Note: Your tires should be at 30 psi front and rear for starters. Also look into setting up your suspension. And set your sag.

*I do not have a bike yet to race with...I currently have a Harley which I will post pics shortly which Im probably going to sell and try and pick up a Honda. Any recommendations or things to look for?

Honestly do not get a brand spanking new bike for this.
Look at cycle trader, even craigslist, to find a bike because you will fall 

I really enjoy Honda; I had a 02 CBR f4i, which was an absolute blast on the track. You can usually find one for pretty cheap too.

Finally, once you get a few days under your belt. Start asking around, about racing. There are usually a handful of people there that can point you in the right direction.
Enjoy!

Old 09-15-2010, 05:43 PM

Wow man thank you so much for the info!

Old 09-15-2010, 06:24 PM

hey i did my first 2 trackdays this yr with teampro motion, they had a deal 190 for the level I school plus track fee plus rentals, i did the school both times, at thunderbold at njmp an monticello 66, which i think is pretty close to you

Youll deff want to do trackdays before you try racing, going from street to trackdays is not to bad but to race is a pretty big leap, your talking race plastics tires, tirewarmers an it just goes up, do some trackdays an see how you like it, and take it from there, riding a Harley on the street an racing a sportbike are entirely different and the habits you learned on the street on the Harley will be of little use on the track

btw i have a 02 f4i an love it on the track, all i did to the bike was take mirrors off an use blue painters tape on head an tail lights an all blinkers reflectors etc.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 AM

+1 on getting into track days before racing.

Find your local trackday club and start riding!

check out nesba.com

they are a good group of guys.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the info guys...what I meant by "racing" was really going to a track and taking racing classes and track days to get my foot in the door and learn what Im doing...and move up from there...

Old 09-18-2010, 12:05 PM

Yeah listen to all the above info. You'll definitely want to pick up another bike, maybe one of the older 600's or an sv 650. You can find track ready bikes relatively cheap on some of the racing forums (Wera, CCS etc..) Since you have a Harley already keep that for the streets and the track bike for the track. It's a pretty safe environment relatively speaking but lets face it it's a race track and the speed is there. There is a chance you will dump your bike so having your street bike doing double duty (track also) could keep you off the street for a while if you do dump it. Invest in some quality gear and tires and get your suspension in order. You can probly get a way with sloppy suspension you first few times out, but when your pace picks a poorly set up bike will begin to limit your progress.

I did my first track day with sport bike track time (http://www.sportbiketracktime.biz/) in the novice group. I highly recommend these guys, very professional, organized and help full. The novice group is pretty much run like a school with hands on instruction on an off track. There's is zero pressure put on you to go "faster". Remember it's a track day not a race, there is nothing to win. You win when you go home in one piece.

Also take it slow and concentrate on being smooth with all your inputs on the bike. Listen to the instructors and don't be afraid to ask questions. No one expects you to know everything so there's no shame in asking questions. If you go out there ***** out your first time, chances are you will crash. No matter how fast an comfy you where on the street the track is a COMPLETELY different ball game. The speed and pace will come with time. Remember you have to go slow to go fast.

Lastly make sure your bank account is "healthy". Riding track is addicting and EXPENSIVE.

Have fun and ride safe.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:51 PM

Evan, are you still getting into track riding ? If so, let me know, im parting out my trackbike and maybe i can help.