Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I think everyone could learn from this.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think everyone could learn from this.

I found this on another forum and it got me thinking. From time to time when I'm out ridingI'lltend to act the fool. Reading this made me put somethings in perspective. Some of the things I do, notjust on the bike I think need to change.Just give it a few minutes and read this.

Originally Posted by sp2pilot [/align]I am asked frequently why I do not ride a sport bike on the street anymore. Why I stalk the canyons and back roads on a behemoth and seem so happy doing it. It is a complicated story and it has all the makings of a made for TV movie starring washed up actors from the 70's and 80's.

Yesterday I was watching a video put up by Joe and it came to me that I was offering him advice on how he should conduct himself on the street when I had a major case of flash back-itus.

Not so long ago my street bike was a fully built RC 51. It had most of the big dollar upgrades Ohlins superbike kitted forks, and shock. Aftermarket wheels Brakes etc. Roughly a small fortune tied up in it, and I rode the crap out of it everywhere. I had a small click of friends of equal talent as myself.(Well probably more talent then me but my ego would never admit that) We rode every dry weekend that we could. Highway 25 and 198 were our personal racetracks and we "Owned" them. I found myself coming home after a spirited ride with scuffed knee pucs and shagged tires that both were new that very morning. There were so many exciting moments in each day(Translation; near death experiences) that I could not easily remember all of them. The only constant was the desire to go back out as soon as possible and ride with my friends. Not to go faster or ride harder. Just to get back out and rip around with my buddies.

The thing is, what I failed to recognize was the pure terror my wife went through every time I put on my leathers and headed out the door. I knew she worried about me, hell I almost killed myself a few years earlier hitting a car head-on on Carmel valley road. But she would kiss me good bye and stand at the door as we rumbled away watching as we disappeared down the street. It was hell for her. The thing is at trackdays she would be happy as hell watching me push it to the very limit of my skill envelope and even offer encouragement and suggestions to help me with lines and such. However the street was not her friend. She was afraid of it. Afraid of what it could do to me, to us.

It all came to a head one fine fall morning when my friends and I headed out for another spirited assault on Highway 25. I always found myself leading these guys for the majority of the ride as I set a manageable pace.(Later I was told that the truth was If they passed me I would immediately re-pass them and scare the hell out of them doing it,...Hmmmm) On this fine day I was in great spirits and riding great. I was ripping wheelies off every corner I could and just riding like a,well, ..a tool. The straw that broke the camels back so to speak was the merge onto Highway 101 north of Prunedale where I shot out into traffic and did a 4 gear wheelie between cars passing both of my buddies in the process. It did not even phase me. We had a great day as usual. Returned to my house. Had a wonderful Barbeque and that was it.

The next day the conspiracy fell into place. An intervention was planned. My friends independently called my wife and ratted me out. They told her that I was taking chances out in the world. One of these guys saved my life back on Carmel valley. He was the one person that knew all about what Lisa had gone through. She was shattered. I had promised her that my risk taking days were over and I would concentrate on track riding to get my kicks. Now she knew I was breaking that promise.

My friends kinda mentioned to me that they were getting nervous riding with me. Then one fateful evening a day later, after dinner Lisa sat down next to me on the couch. She picked up the TV

Old 03-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Default RE: I think everyone could learn from this.

Good story.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and the moral of the story is........DONT BE SQUIDLY!

glad he realized the errors of his ways before they realized it for him.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:01 PM

wow... really puts riding in perspective. Even someone who clearly had the skill way beyond alot of other guys out there on bikes, knows when to humble himself, FOR himself and his family. right on.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:03 PM

+1 nice find!

Old 03-23-2007, 10:51 PM

Damn good post.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:57 PM

I read this at another forum, great post!

Old 03-23-2007, 11:25 PM

good post mang

Old 03-24-2007, 01:28 AM
Retired Moderator

What we do in public directly effects how people perceive the "sport bike rider". We have a responsibility to disprove the stigma...uncaring, dangerous, a__holes. Many times I hold back, because if I had my way, I would be flying by traffic at 90 mph. Good post, by the way.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:25 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+10
And I feel you Voodoo, if I could I would be going 100+ everywhere, but it's not safe. Only at the track is it "safer". Basically I ride like a geriatric on the street and it keeps me alive and my wife sane.

Quick Reply: I think everyone could learn from this.