Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

Teaser... Wheelie Machine is nearly done...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Teaser... My summer project is nearly done...

my keyboard almost wore mountain dew. lol I'll film it.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

ROFL Pix. Looks awsome though, cant wait to see the vids. So do us CBR members get half off per hour when we come to use it

Old 10-31-2008, 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: TK954RR

ROFL Pix. Looks awsome though, cant wait to see the vids. So do us CBR members get half off per hour when we come to use it
No prob! I'll just do what they do at WalMart... Double my price, and give you 50% off so you feel like you're getting a deal!!

lol.

No, I'd hook you all up.

Spent 2 hours today taking the entire thing apart to take the drums to my machinist and get them diamond knurled for the traction I need.

I'll keep ya updated!

- Pixel -

Old 10-31-2008, 05:33 PM

does it adjust for worn/different tires?

Old 10-31-2008, 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Gville George

does it adjust for worn/different tires?
A big part of my design, is that in order to get a specific bike on it... say a cbr 600... I need to run up to my machinist and get an axle made to my specs. But... by doing this, yes. I could get any bike on this. Hell, ever want to wheelie a harley? I'll just make the axle lol.

So the system is designed that I can make an axle even if the swing arm on the bike is 3" narrower, or wider than on my 929. I set up the system initially so that a 190/55 wheel (usually used for racing, 190/50 is more common) is at roughly the top point of adjustment.
I can then apply about 3" of travel on the axle downwards... meaning on a 17" rim, I can pretty much put the rim in contact with the drums. So again yes.

The drums are both independently adjustable, either closer to or further away from each other. So I can also make even additional adjustments there. But wait! There's more! On the exhaust side, I can remove the slider plate, and lower the exhaust side A-frame and additional 1/2" in case someone's exhaust sits too low.

Trust me, I gave adjustability a lot of thought in my design.

Today I went and spent yet again more cash on climbing gear so that I can quickly make the height the bike will wheelie adjustable, and repeatable. So from say a shorty 2' wheelie, to the wheels at 12 o'clock.
Even sicker in my safety strap design, is 2 webbing straps that have bungee cords inside them, so that if you end up needing the safety straps, they will hit the bungee cord anywhere from an adjustable 6 inches to 2 feet before the main straps catch the bike... suppressing the jolt a bit as you rely on the cables. Like the rest of my design, the safety system is redundant, and independent of each other. The 2 systems also mean that the front tire should be able to come to a rest on the springboard ramp without putting the webbing between the tire and the ramp. Just 1 on either side, with the slack being helped to pull out of the way with the bungee cords. Should be sick.

Well, here's the pics from this part of today's project.... the diamond knurling of the drum. God I spent too much money today lol. But this should fix my issue of traction no problem, and actually allow me to loosen how much down pressure the tire needs on the drum.

so... any more questions? lol. I so babble.

- Pixel -

Old 11-02-2008, 02:53 PM

I got another, since you are using actual dynos for this, does that mean you can still measure HP with them? in that case you could measure how much horse power your are using to get the front end up.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:06 PM

Take it in...

=)

Wheelies... but needs some tweaking to feel right. Tire hooks up good now, but the fly wheel makes a 1st gear clutch up feels closer to a 3rd gear clutch up. But I have some ideas on how to make adjustments.

I'll post some more info, and more questions in a bit.

- Pixel -

Old 11-03-2008, 07:37 AM

Damn Pixel, lookin good! So are you going to carry diffrent axles for diffrent common bikes with the unit so customers can just change out on the spot or are people supposed to beat your bike?

Old 11-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Default RE: Teaser... Wheelie Machine is nearly done...

now correct me if im wrong. but doesnt sombody already make something just like this i seen it on speed tv about 3 months ago

Old 11-03-2008, 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Northernfirepower

Damn Pixel, lookin good! So are you going to carry diffrent axles for diffrent common bikes with the unit so customers can just change out on the spot or are people supposed to beat your bike?
Yes, in time. Starting with my bike since I know what it's supposed to feel like. I already have paid for 2 additional axles to be made at my machinist. I just need to decide which 2 to start with. Ultimately I'll get myself a collection of axles together, but that's off on the horizon right now. The nice bit about doing that, is it only takes like 5 minutes to swap out an axle... and since there's a little bit of play from the chain, I don't even need to loosen the actual adjuster plates on the axle to swap em.

And to answer the other post... yes, other people have made these machines... I'm not the first. It's just something I wanted to do myself. And compared to the other designs I've seen... Mine should be safer because of the way the axle mounts, and the redundancy of all the possible fail points. For example.... the quick release pin that allows the top adjuster screw assembly to be held in place, has a double sheer fail point of 20,700 lbs... and there's 2 of them. Things like that.

- Pixel -

Quick Reply: Teaser... Wheelie Machine is nearly done...