Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

Teaser... Wheelie Machine is nearly done...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Teaser... My summer project is nearly done...

[sm=signs003.gif]Man, as a guy that loves metal work, from what I can see, this thing is seriously over-built! BUT! I mean that in a good way. Building something like this you are wise to over build. Vids?

Old 11-05-2008, 03:15 PM

wow

Old 11-05-2008, 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Speedcult

[sm=signs003.gif]Man, as a guy that loves metal work, from what I can see, this thing is seriously over-built! BUT! I mean that in a good way. Building something like this you are wise to over build. Vids?
Yeah lol...

The 4 quick release pins I use to take the bike on and off quickly... Have a combined double sheer strength of 82.8 thousand lbs lol. Meaning the on the vertical axis, the bike would need to generate 40 tons of force to fail. All the steel is 1/4" thick or better. The internal adjustable system uses 2" thick solid steel. The combined sheer strength of the eight 5/8 bolts to adjust the one side laterally is something ridiculous like 144 thousand lbs per side. lol. come to think of it... I don't actually know what the weakest point is... maybe the actual 1/4" steel?

Anyways, yes it's over built lol.

No vids yet. It's back at the machinist to make a new fly wheel mount so I can try a 1:1 ratio from the drum to the fly wheel... Trying to get the feel on the machine exact... so maybe in a week here I'll have some vids up.

Fun!

- Pixel -

Old 11-05-2008, 10:45 PM

I don't see that 1/4" steel failing anytime soon. The 4 link in my isuzuis made of thinner steel tubes and I do some very long (and often jerky when tires heated up and get traction lol) burnouts. Never have bent a bar yet and the 5/8 heim joints heldup the same. The bolts don't have near the tensil strength yours doand as I said,I abuse it on purpose. My welds are no where near asheavy either.

Not to thread jack, but watch thewheel hop I get in this vid. The banging sound is actually the driveshaft hitting the underside of the bed (needs more cutting to the bed floor lol). This was the second burnout. The first was MUCH better but my idiot friend "forgot" to hit the button. Needless to say, the tires were already hot. This isjust a short vid of the regular abuse my zuzi gets... and back to my point, it has yet to fail or bend.

http://media.putfile.com/Zuzi-standing-burnout

Old 11-06-2008, 01:19 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Pixel, Fu**ing awsome.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:57 AM

Pixel thats fricken sweet man can wait to see some vids

Old 11-06-2008, 08:27 AM

thats just sickkkkkkkk!!!!!!!
I'd ride it shyt looks like fun!

Old 11-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

Not to mention the badass bike you have bolted to that thing.[sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 11-13-2008, 12:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Endless

Not to mention the badass bike you have bolted to that thing.[sm=groupwave.gif]
=)

Thanks buddy.

Ok, here's where the project is at.

Test 1: Couldn't get traction, so did diamond knurling and increased the down pressure.

Test 2: Got traction, but the fly wheel pulleys were giving the drums a 1 to 1.3 ratio. That ratio made the fly wheel spin faster than the drum, making the wheelies feel wrong on launch, and engine braking. Also had to use way too much throttle to both launch it, and keep it at BP.

Test 3: Today. Got a new fly wheel put on the system, at a 1 to 1 ratio. So now the wheelie feels right when it's at BP. However, I now have a problem with too little rotating mass. The acceleration on the launch feels too light. But I have no problem spinning up the mass I'm moving.

Based on the weight of steel, and plugging in some numbers, The drums each weigh about 75 lbs. So a 150 lbs combined there. The fly wheel also weighs about 150 lbs. So the mass I'm currently moving is 300 lbs give or take.
The number I'm looking for, is the weight of the bike plus rider... so figure 450 + 150 on the low side... 600 lbs. I'm a little over 200 lbs... so my target number would be more like 650 or so.
So I'm now 350 lbs too shy on my rotating mass.

So my possible solutions, are

1: Add the fly wheel from my other dyno to the fly wheel on the existing one. Brings me to 450 lbs, so still 200 lbs shy. Would be fairly easy to do though, so might give this one a test.

2: See if the eddie current brake will work with only one side of the dyno plugged in. If I get lucky here, I can use the eddie current brake to resist the 300 lbs I'm moving, and make it feel like 650 or whatever.
Only reason I don't like this one, is the system starts to become computer controlled, rather than a mechanical system, which I'd prefer.

3: Plugging in the math, a 28" drum, 8.5" thick, would weigh 460 lbs. Then add the other drum at 75 lbs... and fly wheel at 135 lbs... so total about 670 lbs. Right around my target weight for the system.
If the eddie current test doesn't work, I'll probably have to go this route... only drag is steel is about a dollar a pound... and I'll need to get a 675 pound drum of steel 42" wide, and get it machined down in width to 28.5" wide.
So basically I'll have 200 bucks in metal shavings sitting on the floor if I do this one. =/

Well, anyways, got a crappy phone vid of my first test today. Sorry for junk quality. Was getting dark quick, so had to rush this test a bit. Ooh, and sorry about the first minute of on the vid... was warming up the tires, and I don't have a good editing program for video on my laptop to crop the first part out.
First couple of pulls you can tell I have too little weight I'm moving. Thing spins right up!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=46370940

Will give the eddie current brake a try on Friday when I finally get some free time!

- Pixel -

Old 11-13-2008, 01:46 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

From the sound of the bike it does sound like it needs a bit of tweaking, but sure is comin along good. Mad props again Pix

Quick Reply: Teaser... Wheelie Machine is nearly done...