Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

NEW TO WHEELIES PLEASE HELP ME!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW TO WHEELIES PLEASE HELP ME!!

Ok so i picked up a 02 f4i and first day i punched it and took it up on one and have been hooked since. I looked around and saw i should upgrade my sprockets then came to find out they already were. vortex 48t in the rear and 15t in the front 520 con. so i think thats a good set up. What i really want tho is a bike i can pick up here and there but since i do alot of highway driving i'd need to keep my top end as much as possible in the lower rpm range lol. So i was thinkin 46 rear and 15 front would this make it harder to wheelie?? And are there any other setups i should try out?? Any input would be helpful. I am new to trying to stunt and have been wanting to learn for awhile i have been on 2 wheels my whole life and can wheelie but id like to learn how to do it at 55-75 which you cant really do on a dirtbike. LOL. So please any input please

Old 12-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Default RE: NEW TO WHEELIES PLEASE HELP ME!!

yes going back to 46 in the rear would make it harder, but you would still be able to do it though. Look in the stunters section to find out some more answers.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the stock 16 up front but a 50 on the back. I think im going to go back down to around a 48 or so as the rpms are just a little higher than I like. + I dont wheelie as much as I used to but don't really have a need for the extra torque in the wheelie department either. If you can learn to do it with stock gear ratio or just slightly modified you'll be alot happier on the freeway riding.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:26 PM

Since you are new to the forum, I won't be sarcastic and mean. lol. With experience you can wheelie any bike by using the clutch method. I am assuming you ripped on the throttle and the front end popped up? You were probably a bit scared, excited all in one. With a -1 gear in the front, that would be 15 teeth instead of 16 you will see more than enough torque to lift up your front end even without using your clutch. But, if you change any of your gears, yourgoing to throw your speedometer off, and if you don't fix it with a "Speedohealer" you will add up more miles on your bike than you really have. You will think your going faster than you really are. Your rpms will be higher in all of your gears, and on the highway if it really matters. Your miles per gallon will go down. Depending on how you ride. I did a -1 in my front gear and its more than enough. If you get enough experience you can shift your gear from 1st to 2nd with the front end up and ride a wheelie all the way down the highway to around 80 mph ish. I don't look at my speed, I listen to the rpms. btw, stock gearing is 16/46. Good luck, have fun and ride responsibly. There are some vids on utube on how to wheelie that are very informative.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:51 AM

What Stephens says is true except your goal should not be to rpm out at the highest rate of speed for the gear your in. It should be to balance it and maintain speed where you can ride for miles. That comes with practice. Also learn that rear brake. Looping sucks big time. Also the highway really isn't the place to be doing this stuff, but I know most of us do it.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:58 PM

Excellent DVD: Wheelies For Dummies. You can download the torrent on all kinds of places. Just Google the title. Takes you through ever aspect of it.

You can also check Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qncPBZ9DRRk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqqVJmsF6hU

Old 12-05-2008, 01:46 AM

thanks guys been doing better. I go to the near by high school so its a large spot no cars. (yes a school, and no the cops dont mind they kinda get a kick out of watching it all.) Did a maybe 1/8th mile at about 35-40. rear brake is def a good friend of mine LOL

Old 12-05-2008, 11:09 AM

That's cool, please send the cops to my state as ours are asses.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:22 PM

i usualy ride 60 miles each way to work so i left the stock gearing on my bike thinking id never have the desire to start rideing wheelys well i decided i was going to and i dont think theres any reason to change the gearing it comes up no prob in second with a sligh bounce or the clutch and most people think its imposible on a stock f4i but no its not 3rd gear around 105 and a reall good bounce and she will come right up so depending how much you use it the stock gearing will do anything you want it to almost

Old 12-13-2008, 02:20 AM

ORIGINAL: jimd2p

Excellent DVD: Wheelies For Dummies. You can download the torrent on all kinds of places. Just Google the title. Takes you through ever aspect of it.

You can also check Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qncPBZ9DRRk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqqVJmsF6hU
two best videos you will ever find on youtube to learn how to wheelie.. I suggest you watch them, then watch them again, go out and practice and watch them some more.

best advice I can give that others havent - find some stunt buddiesthat live close(looks for a city group, like we have 702sportbikes here in vegas) and go out get taught by the real deal. the stunt world aint about wheelies at 65-75mph, the true art is holding one up at BP going 10-15mph and then adding variables to it (like circle wheelies, no handers, special K's, high chairs, etc etc).