Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

Learning Rear Brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learning Rear Brake

I need some tips to learn rear brake, I have engine brake down good, but now that I'm going to bp and past I need to get it in my head to use the brake. I am always covering it so my foot is always there, but how do I get to the next step being able to "ride" it and keep the bike past bp and slow my wheelies down more? Should I work on it in sitdowns or standups? 1st gear or 2nd? I have heard to bring the bike up and press it to bring the front back down, but I already know how it works, I just need to get the feel so I don't have to think about it. Do I just keep the throttle stready and use the brake to bog the engine a little? Just looking for some pointers basically and mabye help some others out and get all of the info in one place.

-Jesse-

Old 08-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Err
Default RE: Learning Rear Brake

here's what i've been doing.

1st gear, standing up.

do a wheelie, hold the throttle steady (don't roll off) and press the brake (lightly, don't mash the rear brake). if you come crashing down be lighter on the brake next time you bring it up. lighten the pressure a little bit and you'll come back more.

its really pretty easy, you just have to get used to it. it doesn't take much brake to keep it from looping, thats why you gotta be light. thats what i found out anyway.

let me know how it goes. practice makes perfect...

Old 08-09-2006, 12:34 PM

exactly....just keep the throttle steady, in one spot...and just use the brake to adjust your height...i can slow them down, but i still have the same problem as you when trying to turn i keep speeding up then have to slow back down...

Old 08-09-2006, 02:37 PM

See right now I can bring them up in 2nd and ride it a little past bp and use the engine to slow them down a little, but it just doesn't feel right and then they get choppy and I set them down. But if I can get the brake in my head then I'll be good but it just doesn't seem to be working right now LOL I'll probably go out this afternoon and work on some in 1st to get the feel. I need to get it down so I can scrape my minty tail LOL but thats gonna take alot more practice and a cage before I try that haha

Ok thanks and keep the replies coming

-Jesse-

Old 08-09-2006, 06:54 PM

I am in the same boat as you are man. I still use the engine to bring it back and I still cover the brake i just dont have the braking technics down yet. I havent ridden the bike since it got painted about 3 weeks ago because of that damn seal on the fuel line and that its been raining here. I dunno, I think i am going to wait to get another bike for stunting only before I try getting into more stunting.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

definately use first when trying to slow wheelies down, unless your geared up pretty high, smooth throttle is the key like said above, and use the brake to adjust the height. Using a 4wheeler or 50cc pitbike is a great brake learning tool, you have to use the brake on a 50 or you end up on your ***, so it gets you in the habit of it. Then just take what you learned to the big bike.

Be safe

Old 08-10-2006, 07:47 PM

Yeah, I wish I had a 50 or a quad or even a dirt bike LOL but my wife says one bike HAHA I found a 98 Honda 250 dirt bike for $800 with a fresh motor, I was gonna pick it up to learn circles and slower stuff on and bring it to the F4i, but its a no go right now LOL so I guess I'll just get a cage and a 12 bar and tear my bike up <---now thats gonna be fun HAHA

I haven't went out for a day or 2 but I'll be out tomorrow trying to learn rear brake in 1st. Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll be able to scrape. But I'm not in a hurry to get there, I just want to get the brake thing down.

Now a question in a question LOL Why does everyone say to have rear brake down before getting a handbrake? Me personally I think it would be easier to learn with a handbrake, but I don't really think I need one yet. I plan on getting a handbrake this winter, but whats the advantage to having rear brake down 100% before getting a handbrake?

Alright I'm done

-Jesse-

Old 08-11-2006, 12:57 AM

advantage is you'll already be in tune with how the rear brake works and what it does etc. then move onto the more dangerous tricks where a handbrake is needed. Some ppl learn w/ it some people learn w/ engine brake.

Personally i learned highchairs and spreaders a few years back w/ just engine brake, im glad i did it that way made me respect the bike and now everything just seems easier.

Either way if you put a handbrake on doesnt mean you have to use it, at least it will be there in case you need it, and when your ready to slow down off peg wheelies

Old 08-11-2006, 12:59 AM

and my bike used to look just like that too lol, bought it off the showroom in 01, still stuntin the same bike w/ same motor, just a few dozen paint jobs and plastics later lol now flat black. Have funnin "beatin the brakes off your bike" lol i did.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:01 PM

Well I haven't updated on this in a while so this is what I have got fo far.

I went out the other day and got it up to bp then held the throttle steady and let it come way back and then caught it with the brake and kind of rode the brake and it was super smooth. It felt pretty good and I'm getting used to it and now when I'm just cruising I have noticed that my foot is almost always sitting right over the brake lever LOL. It was all going good, but the road needs to be really smooth when practicing rear brake. When I was working with it I hit a little dip in the road and let off of the brake but left the throttle in the same place and I almost looped. I was going probably 45-50 in 2nd so it would have hurt a little, but it just came down really hard. But I'm just practicng a few new things, working on spreaders and seat standers now and there coming along alright.

But thats what I got right now and if I think of anything else I'll post it up

-Jesse-