Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

Finally Hit BP....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Hit BP....

I know this isn't a big deal to you one-wheel veterans, but I've been taking it pretty slow learning to stand 'er up. I only started this season and have just been punching the throttle in first as opposed to dropping the clutch in 2nd. Well, today I finally hit balancing point...I was actually a bit shocked and very surprised at how easy it was to ride out. I rode it for a decent distance and then I maxed out my RPMs so I put it back down, but I'm pretty pumped about it.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Default RE: Finally Hit BP....

Nice job Shirt [sm=icon_rock.gif]Now just remember to look around before you bring it up

Old 09-16-2008, 01:09 PM

Good Job!

Now work on rolling it back even a tad bit more, and you'll quit running out the rpm's. Remember the balance point is not a mythical spot where it will just stay at. It takes subtle inputs on the throttle, and light touches on the rear brake to keep it there.

If you're not in the habit of using the rear brake... Get on it now! It won't need hard stomps or dragging on to bring it back forward, but the rear brake is a must. If you're still doing pow-pows to bring it up cut it out now. Clutch it, with the foot on the rear brake. As it starts getting up towards bp, slightly roll off the throttle, and "catch" bp with the rear brake. Once you start doing this you'll thank me.

The reason why, is you can clutch it to bp with fairly low rpms, and since it gets there quicker, you now have more revs to work with to stay there and settle it into bp. Again, rear brake is a must.

F*ck covering the rear brake... learn to use it. It WILL save your *** some day. Also, be careful not to drag on it... just use light taps and throttle control to keep it stable at bp. You don't want brake fade.

Keep on rockin!

- Pixel -

Old 09-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Banned

Great advice pixel...

Like I said, I've been taking it REAL slow. I don't have full insurance nor is my bike modded for stunting, so I wanted to start out by getting comfortable with having the front end in the air. Now that I feel okay about it, I'm going to learn how to properly clutch it to make her fly. I will keep your advice in mind.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:32 PM

how do you guys wheelie? do you sit in the seat or stand on the pegs? which is easier
I want to learn the art, but im scared, I feel like my bike has too much power and is just gonna flip me
usually when try it (in first) im at 25-30 mph and clutch to about 9-10k rpm and dump (get there from 6.5 i think) I can feel the front end get loose, my FIRST attempt the wheel came about a foot and a half off the ground, all the rest have been fails (maybe a few inches)
would you say half throttle would be sufficient, or more/less?
Also, how do I prep for it? do i need to compress the forks like i've heard about power wheelies (which im PRETTY sure i could do in first) or do i just pull back a little, no need to bounce?

Old 09-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Banned

soccer, I can't tell you how to do it cause I'm just learning myself, but I can tell you how I choose to start out...I have just been practicing power wheelies so that I am comfortable with 3 things...The feeling of the front wheel rising, balancing the bike on the back wheel, and putting it back down on the front wheel. Of these 3 things, so far I've found that the third part is the toughest...at least to put it back down smoothly, and I've gotten somewhat decent at power wheelies to the point that I can hold them until I redline. I just release and pop the throttle at 7k, and I've progressively gotten more bold and higher.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Soccer not to be a dick but im not gonna tell you how till you get some gear

Old 09-16-2008, 11:54 PM

understandable
especially since Im not big on PRACTICING them without gear, even in my neighborhood I wimp a little (especially since my normal riding gear would be called squid by many people [though im a firm believer squid is attitude]: cargo shorts and a t-shirt, soon to be jeans with shorts under and multiple jackets though, getting colder but I just LOVE riding)

Old 09-18-2008, 10:07 PM

yeah just wait soccer when you burn your calves the first time from wearing shorts... I did that once and never looked back at shorts. get the gear man, your bike can always be replace - your body cant

just to show you what a t-shirt and shorts in a stuntaccident produces
Name:  125796100_l-1.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  12.2 KB

just a hint, the accident itself doesnt hurt as bad as scraping gravel out of your back and arms with a hard sponge with alcohol. you cant protection yourself much about broken bones but road rash you can and it's JUST as painful.

I know TK954 said he wont tell ya but here is a video tutorial I learned from
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qncPBZ9DRRk

just like everyone else, I highly suggest you buy some gear to protect you and take it slow.. It took me about a year of just riding and playing around with my liter bike to get my powerwheelies and clutching down. If that's your pride and joy, don't push the envelope

Old 09-19-2008, 05:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Vermino

If that's your pride and joy, don't push the envelope

I think thats my biggest problem right now.

my buddy just bought a stunt bike for a grand and i have seen him wreck it like 5 times already (all slow stuff so he is ok) Once i get the cash i will probably get one, but for now i am rolling the dice with mine :\

+1 on gear