CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

after months, finally finally fixed my (supposedly) running rich issue on the 954!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 12:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after months, finally finally fixed my (supposedly) running rich issue on the 954!!

Ok, plugs 1,3 were rich and 2,4 were lean. Also it was blowing black smoke and had raw fuel spraying out exhaust too. This whole time I'm trying to correct it by by going lean on the pc3....wrong wrong.

I have the flapper mod, htev pinned open, k&n air filter, d&d bolt on which is kinda more like a full system (more than I thought anyway). So the damn thing was running super lean the whole freaking time! So lean that the 2,4 plugs were not combusting fuel at all and it was spraying out the exhaust. So I'm now using the d&d full exhaust map download and its running hella better

I've learned that the air flowing in and out of these 954's is critical, it has been on mine anyway. After market air filter and exhaust on this 954 does require a pc tune. I only see a slight little poof of black smoke at zero throttle opening after blipping the throttle. But when I rev it and ease off the throttle smoothly it does not smoke at all. I AM THRILLED! Can get back to riding now.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:11 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Right on man! I'm glad you've figured it out.

Did you know it had a full exhaust? I don't remember you saying it had that.

Either way - GET RIDING!

Old 10-19-2013, 03:22 AM

Well no it doesn't have a full exhaust. It has a k&n air filter, flapper mod, htev pinned open and a d&d bolt on. Which seems to be running just a little bit better with the full system down load.

UPDATE: after a new oil change and a few hours of test riding I pulled the plugs (all sooty black, and two sooty black with white tips)it does not run all that good. A tiny bit better than before but not really that good. It seems like its just not the right download map. I guess I'll have to keep trying different ones til I get a good one. Until I get a custom map. Hopefully its just that I neep a custom map and not a fried ecu.

I'm just about to give up on this one and sell it. I tell ya that's how I feel when this happens. Tired of tearing it down time after time to read plugs and such and then put it all back together, for it to run like A PIECE OF ****! This bitch is going iunto the shed for a while f-it.

Last edited by cBrentb; 10-19-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:48 AM
Sept 2014 ROTM

My bike had Devil high pipe slip-on which removes the catalysator, bmc air filter, flapper removed and htev working and it was running super rich in almost every throttle position before it was tuned in a dyno whit the map from dynojets map for this slip-on.

Have you tried the zero map at all? I think your plugs should look all the same. If they look different there is something wrong ellsewhere.

I would first check the coils, fpr and throttle body tubes and the airbox that everything fit's tight and there is no cracks anywhere so that you can be sure there isn't any air leaks anywhere. Next would be the injectors. You could get them measured for flow and the pattern. That will tell if there is anything wrong whit them. Then next would be the ecu and wiring if these are all ok.

The fuel pressure regulator should probably be measured allso what the fuel flow is. I'm not sure how much does it have to be broken that it's drips fuel from it.

Last edited by mika_u; 10-19-2013 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:57 AM

Yes, I've checked all these components a couple times. Everything checks out good. I loaded a full kerker map which makes it run better. It still blows smoke on hard excel and a little on idle. Also its down on power from running rich. Some one told me that lost compression in a cylinder can cause bad vacuum there for causing a rich condition in the cylinder. I'm looking onto rings and valve seals. Leak down and commpression test...if it doesn't sell before then.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:29 AM
Sept 2014 ROTM

Originally Posted by cBrentb
Yes, I've checked all these components a couple times. Everything checks out good. I loaded a full kerker map which makes it run better. It still blows smoke on hard excel and a little on idle. Also its down on power from running rich. Some one told me that lost compression in a cylinder can cause bad vacuum there for causing a rich condition in the cylinder. I'm looking onto rings and valve seals. Leak down and commpression test...if it doesn't sell before then.
Did you get the injectors flow measured? And have you tried the zero map? All of the dynojet maps run little rich compared to custom map made on dyno. How bad is your mileage?

Only way to know are the injectors working properly is to flow measure them.
If you are sure ignition and fuel system is is mechanically working fine then only thing that comes in mind is ecu or lack of compression in cylinders. Probably scuffed cylinders if the question is about the 954.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cBrentb
Well no it doesn't have a full exhaust. It has a k&n air filter, flapper mod, htev pinned open and a d&d bolt on. Which seems to be running just a little bit better with the full system down load.

UPDATE: after a new oil change and a few hours of test riding I pulled the plugs (all sooty black, and two sooty black with white tips)it does not run all that good. A tiny bit better than before but not really that good. It seems like its just not the right download map. I guess I'll have to keep trying different ones til I get a good one. Until I get a custom map. Hopefully its just that I neep a custom map and not a fried ecu.

I'm just about to give up on this one and sell it. I tell ya that's how I feel when this happens. Tired of tearing it down time after time to read plugs and such and then put it all back together, for it to run like A PIECE OF ****! This bitch is going iunto the shed for a while f-it.
Don't worry about a little black smoke on acceleration. My bike is custom tuned and runs excellent and it will puff a little black smoke on hard acceleration.

Get rid of the k&n filter and get an oem filter. It has been proven many times that 929/954's do not like k&n filters and that it actually makes them loose a few hp. Also your bike will run better with a working htev. You don't ride around at full throttle so why wire it in the position that its in at high rpm. With it wired open you loose low-mid range power which requires more throttle to get the bike moving.

I agree with mika_u that you need to check for leaks. If you have some starter fluid start your bike and spray a little starter fluid around the throttle bodies where they connect to the air box and the motor. If you have a leak the bike will rev up a little when you spray the starter fluid.

Check your coils and make sure they fit tight on the tip of the spark plugs. If they have been removed many times they can become loose. Pull the rubber boot off the coil and clean the inside tip of the coil with wd-40 then using a small pick gently bend out the metal wire in the tip of the coil to make the spark plug fit tight. The fit should be tight enough that if you have the coil off the bike with the rubber boot removed the spark plug should not fall out of the coil.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:21 PM

Thanks for all the help. I'm about to do a compression and leak down test.

When rev it at idle its more like a ploom of smoke. Also, right after revving, I can barely see it but, at idle its smoking some too, if I use a light in the background I can see smoke on idle. I've double checked for spark. It has good spark at all four. The coil tips seem to be making contact even though I havnt ried bending them out yet. As far as vacuum check, I've had the throttle bodies off and cleaned/ synced, I sealed all boots were they attach at motor and air box with black rtv, all vac lines look good and don't leak. I've sprayed nearly a whole can of carb cleaner around throttle bodies while running and find no leaks.

Another thing is that it consumes a considerate amount of oil when I ride it, especially after rides at higher rpms. And spark plugs have signs of burnt oil (ashy white on the tips of two plugs)

Attached Thumbnails after months, finally finally fixed my (supposedly) running rich issue on the 954!!-img-20131019-00326.jpg   after months, finally finally fixed my (supposedly) running rich issue on the 954!!-img-20130929-00319.jpg  

Last edited by cBrentb; 10-20-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you have one of the vacuum lines reversed on #3 & #4 on your throttle bodies and that is throwing you off. Both 1&4 have 2 lines going to them where 2&3 only have one. Did you double check your install when putting the throttle bodies back on the bike and make sure each line was placed in the correct location. Reference page 5-70 in service manual. Check it and see. The long vacuum line coming off the T-fitting from the left side of the bike should connect to #1&4. Then one line each off the 4-way T connects to each throttle body.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:47 AM

Ok, I'll check em. Thanks.

Quick Reply: after months, finally finally fixed my (supposedly) running rich issue on the 954!!