Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

New rider: Basic what "NOT" to do? (s)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a new rider I've really enjoyed these pointers. Please keep them coming.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:30 PM

Get in an empty parking lot and practice your braking from speed. It's good to not lock your brakes, and the only way to know this is to know where the locking points are. You're going to need to stop abruptly at some point, and improper braking techniques will introduce you to the pavement.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:47 PM

Really liked the tips
1. stay in first gear
2. tie/tuck in laces ( got done with a ride the other day and notice my shoe was completely untied, got lucky)

coming from someone who just bought his bike 2 weekends ago, keep em coming!

Old 05-21-2012, 03:08 AM

All very many great points! Being a new rider myself I'd recommend/strongly encourage any new rider to read this thread. I've learned quite a few tips/tricks on things to not do when riding that I did not know before. I had my friend (who will be buying his first bike hopefully tomorrow) sit down and read these as well. Who knows.. a point someone says today might save your a** tomorrow.

My own point to throw in is expect the unexpected. Don't think ppl are watching out for you, they aren't.
Be afraid of your bike, but don't "worry" about it... thats when mistakes can happen. Be comfortable, if your not - change it to make yourself comfortable.
Be aware of your riding surface and whats underneath you. (personal experience, was riding today, got on bricks.. treated it like pavement.. (wrong) decided to throw a bit of throttle in it, felt back slide a few.) - won't make that mistake again it freaked me out.. I wasn't going very fast but it doesn't take much speed to cause a mess.

Have fun and ride safe - lets keep that fallen members list as low as possible

Old 05-21-2012, 10:12 AM

My best advice for a new rider is: Sign up for a MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) BRC (Basic Rider Course), or the equivalent for the area you live.

Other things to keep in mind: the only protection you have on a motorcycle, is the gear you are wearing and your riding skill; where other vehicles on the road have multiple layers of sheetmetal and/or other materials to protect them.

Not to scare any new riders: Everything you encounter can have the ability to seriously injure and maybe even take your life (though I really hope it doesn't do either). Also, consider yourself completely invisible to everyone else on the road (pretend they can't see you at all); that way when they don't see you, you are already prepared to take action on not being seen.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin
Really liked the tips
1. stay in first gear
2. tie/tuck in laces ( got done with a ride the other day and notice my shoe was completely untied, got lucky)

coming from someone who just bought his bike 2 weekends ago, keep em coming!
I would at least go into second gear, that way there is less engine braking and you are more relying more on the skill of you as a rider, unless of course you're using the clutch lever at the same time.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:30 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Find a large parking lot:

1. Practice your left hand/clutch lever. Know how much freeplay, and when does clutch engage. Meaning when at a stop, put into first gear, slowly let go clutch lever and feel you bike's sweet spot. Without adding any gas....you should be able to feel when clutch engage and bike starts to move forward. Just practice taking off then stop in first gear again & again. This will build up muscles in your hand.

2. With the throttle hand, I would practice revving (in neutral ) go from idle to 2RPM, back down and again. Then from 2RPM go to 3RPM then back down and so on....to 4RPM. Practice until your hand muscles reflex is very use to throttle.....Then go from idle to 2, 2-3, 3-4...NEVER FULL THROTTLE!!!! just one RPM at a time.

3. When comfortable, you can take off from 1st gear at 2RPM.....then at 15MPH go into 2nd, then down shift back into 1st & stop......then 1st, 2nd & 3rd, then downshift back down 2nd, 1st & stop. Practice as many up & down then stop and go as possible.

4. Then practie figure 8......reverse figure 8........U-TURN, Reverse U-Turn......

What ever happens, NEVER pop the clutch, Never slam on the brakes in a turn or not, or full throttle or throttle too hard.......If you get scared, just hang the clutch, stop using brakes, plant your footing....take a 5min break, find out what gear you are in. It is normal to forget what gear you are in. Keep practicing until it is natural. Now if you hit the street, make sure you are familiar with street, when you freezed up because you kinda forget what gear you are in, it's ok...just hang the clutch, pull over to a safe lot, take a break, find out what gears you are in....

NEVER THINK YOU HAVE IT ALL DOWN & GO CRAZY! Respect the bike's power....NEVER ride during rush hours when you are noob rider..

Old 05-26-2012, 01:01 AM

I gotta say, loud pipes don't save lives. Skills do.
There are times when a loud *** hog pulls right beside me
at a light and I didn't even hear him coming.
The "staying in 1st gear" will save your life one day.
I guess I'll add:
Do not brake too hard when coming to a stop at slow speeds.
It will cause the weight to shift quick when you stop and you'll dump her.
That's how I dropped mine the first couple times.
Do NOT ride your bike like a skateboard...not without practice anyways.
I did this(riding right foot on left peg) trying to push her out of the rain
and kicked her into gear lmao
Least I can say is she bucked me off. Broke the clutch lever when I dropped it too.
If only I was holding in the clutch...

Old 06-13-2012, 03:39 PM

This is actually pretty helpful being a new rider (3 weeks). Three times now I have pulled over at the end of my street to tuck my laces -Im still not quite in the habit of it.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:44 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

May I say "loud pipes saves lives" is originated from HD riders....I have few friend riding Harley Davidsons....this is where I got this phrase...and sometimes hear others saying it. It's an opinion...there's no right or wrong so let it be.

One important thing I want to add is, don't ride with road rage...or should I say both riding and driving in your car....road rage in your car not cool cause OP can pull a gun on you....road rage on your bike is plain stupidity...cause even a female driver with road rage can run you over. We just have to suck it up...even if those crazy drivers do something wrong, we just have to remove ourselfves from any potential dangerous situation.

Ever had a teenage driver try to race you???

Quick Reply: New rider: Basic what "NOT" to do? (s)