Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

New rider: Basic what "NOT" to do? (s)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by estate4life
Do not check out that HOT girl...concentrate on the road bro....LOL...seriously until your confident.
Christ..this is the toughest "do not do" yet....
(there's SO damn many of them!)

Old 07-16-2011, 01:36 PM

I think new riders should go somewhere somewhat abandon and practice before getting to much into riding around everywhere, speaking from a new rider experience. I jumped on my bike and just started riding, rode all around town with a group one night never had one problem. The next morning rode again and wrecked. Luckily i wasnt going very fast and managed to only bend my front rim and a small blemish in the fairing.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the tips guys, im new to riding as well. Already had my first "incident" too fell off the bike hard luckily had the right gear on and walked away with some rash and a big bruise would have walked away from it with just the bruise but i did not zip up my jacket. So my stupid contribution is zip up your jacket

Old 07-16-2011, 05:40 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Red light

Originally Posted by awol70
Christ..this is the toughest "do not do" yet....
(there's SO damn many of them!)
Best when at stop/red light. This is best time to say hi to that HOT chick!!! To your right...if your taking the left lane. Sometimes the best time you will be having when riding? Is not riding at all??? At the red lights. I had incident when Girls just talk to you...enjoy the thrill... Don't risk the kill, trying to race with cars...we are skins wrap steel, cars is steel wrap skins...LOL

Old 07-16-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by segraves1
This one seems like a BIG BIG BIG NO NO (being in neutral at a light)! If you are in neutral, you can't accelerate out of the way of danger! NEVER should you be in neutral when on the road!

How about:
7) Don't forget to shift in 1st gear when approaching a stop light and just hold the clutch while waiting for the light. IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE!

I'm speaking from first hand experience here on this one, not from a bike but from a car. I was sitting at a light in my Camaro one time and a big truck making a turn overshot the turn (going to fast) and came at me. Fortunately I was paying attention and had the tranny in 1st gear. I dumped the clutch, went WOT, and launched out of the way. The truck came to rest on its side where I had been sitting.

. . . so.....
thanks,mate. You are dead on there.
I am ALWAYS in 1st, (right foot covering the rear brake),approaching any stop,or potential stop.
it's the way i taught myself from day one,
(actually with guidance from members here...)and as you stated,a lifesaver.
(i ride in heavy traffic on a daily basis, and being ready to jet in first gear has saved my *** several times already,and ive' only been riding a couple months.)
(I do pop it up into neutral to rest my hand,or to adjust the pants occasionally,but i am very wary of blind cagers on autopilot.)
(*see "*most of them")

Last edited by awol70; 07-17-2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 07-17-2011, 02:59 PM

what can happen when you low side.

gear review coming in another thread..

Old 07-17-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by tucsondude

OH FU*K!!!!!! That looks like it hurt......

Old 07-17-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by tucsondude

perhaps a link to a thread on lowsiding/what it is/how to avoid it,
if one exists?
or a quick explanation would be nooberiffic...
*(like a new rider what "not to do", so this can be avoided...)
thanks much.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A low side is when you and the bike go into a slide.
A high side is when you're thrown over the bike.

Lowsides are usually the result of grabbing too much front brake too quickly. The front forks compress too quickly, bottoming out, causing the front tire to slide out due to loss of traction. Or you lock the front tire. The bike goes down and you fall to the "low side" of the bike. A complete loss of traction on the rear tire can also cause a low side.

High sides are usually caused by a rear tire sliding out of alignment with the front due to loss of traction. Eventually the rear regains traction and the bike begins travelling in the direction of the rear wheel. Your body, however, wants to continue travelling in the old direction due to inertia and gets t.hrown off and over the "high side" of the bike.

Last edited by Kuroshio; 07-17-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by segraves1
This one seems like a BIG BIG BIG NO NO (being in neutral at a light)! If you are in neutral, you can't accelerate out of the way of danger! NEVER should you be in neutral when on the road!

How about:
7) Don't forget to shift in 1st gear when approaching a stop light and just hold the clutch while waiting for the light. IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE!

I'm speaking from first hand experience here on this one, not from a bike but from a car. I was sitting at a light in my Camaro one time and a big truck making a turn overshot the turn (going to fast) and came at me. Fortunately I was paying attention and had the tranny in 1st gear. I dumped the clutch, went WOT, and launched out of the way. The truck came to rest on its side where I had been sitting.

. . . so.....
I'm gonna have to agree with you here. I've had something similar happen while in my z28. And to top it off, keeping it in first at a stop sign or light is actually in my states motorcycle handbook.

Quick Reply: New rider: Basic what "NOT" to do? (s)