Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Group ride pressures to keep up

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

last week we had our mandatory 1/4ly unit ride. i am one of the "younger" riders (second to most grey hair, on a crotch rocket the least...) at the end of the ride i was told by a few experienced riders "you are one of the best riders the unit has" i asked how and why with the response of "you ride to YOUR level, not the leaders"

it makes sense to me now. i do what I want, not what the group wants.

i am by no means slow, but i have no desire to prove that i am winner of the race that isnt happening.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:35 AM

very true

Old 11-05-2011, 04:51 PM

A lot of good ideas here. I occasionally ride with a few different groups. One where the leader was a motorcycle state patrolman. On a CRUISER my man is fast in the Colorado twisties. What I have done is learn not only his lines, but more how MY bike handles the curves. I have no doubt in the mountains he is faster ,but I have managed to keep at least of him.Then I have a crew that disregards the lanes, meaning they use the whole road. I don't even try that . As a result I saw one of them slide so close to an oncoming pickup that I thought ( and he did to when we talked about it) he had hit it. Them I let go ahead and if they lose me cool ! I'll see ya at our destination- order me a burger and fries. Then there are a couple of guys that don't seem to understand riding at all and are always way behind to the point I stop nd wait-not fun at all.
All it comes down to is I have my fun on my bike. riding in a group is fun, but I have rules no matter what and I have to get home every night. I regard myself as an experienced and capable rider and part of that experience dictates that even as I improve my limits, I need to be aware of them and act accordingly. I actually prefer riding alone...

Old 11-06-2011, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by SMOKEU
I don't like riding in groups because other people either ride too slow or too fast for me. I'm by no means a fast rider, and I don't enjoy the ride at all if I'm pushing myself to 100% desperately trying to keep up with the very experienced riders in the corners.

I also don't really like riding with n00bs where I constantly have to slow down to almost walking pace in order for them to catch up.

I prefer to ride on my own, because then I can ride at my own pace with no pressure to keep up with anyone faster than me.

You saved me the time of typing it. Thanks.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:55 AM

I have noticed on group rides as well that many riders have a very reckless mentality. The sports bike riders tend to be the worst as some of them think that they are superman, and some of them attempt to defy the laws of physics all in order to prove a point.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:55 PM

just ride with cool people

Old 11-07-2011, 07:08 PM

I simply ride at my own pace and how I want to. I don't care if the group looses me as long as I am riding "safe" to my standards. I have a wife to come home to every day and I don't want her to get "that" phone call.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Seventy4blazer
last week we had our mandatory 1/4ly unit ride. i am one of the "younger" riders (second to most grey hair, on a crotch rocket the least...) at the end of the ride i was told by a few experienced riders "you are one of the best riders the unit has" i asked how and why with the response of "you ride to YOUR level, not the leaders"

it makes sense to me now. i do what I want, not what the group wants.

i am by no means slow, but i have no desire to prove that i am winner of the race that isnt happening.
Excellent! I only get "frisky" when I'm riding alone or if just me and one or two others that I KNOW know how to ride wanna play. We usually pick someone to lead and we play a sane game of follow-the-leader. Damn I wish it wasn't already so cold! I could sure go for a nice ride.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:25 PM

this is what it boils down to.ride your own ride.
Originally Posted by Boilerup15
I simply ride at my own pace and how I want to. I don't care if the group looses me as long as I am riding "safe" to my standards. I have a wife to come home to every day and I don't want her to get "that" phone call.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:47 PM

I usually ride alone but on occasion I go on long (3-5 days) rides with a group of people that have a great system. There are 4 guys that are fast one of which always leads the group and several that are good riders but go at a slower pace and then there are a couple of guys on harleys that are a bit slower. Each group has a sub-leader and whenever there is a turn the fast guys wait for EVERYONE to catch up. I found that after riding with them for a bit who I like to be in front of and who I like to be behind and it was different people depending on if we were on the highway all riding at the same speed or on the twisties.

Quick Reply: Group ride pressures to keep up