Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Group ride pressures to keep up

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 05:20 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Group ride pressures to keep up

Why many threads I read involve accidents happenning during group riding. Why is that...i understand most situations involve pressure to keep up & perform better in front of friends or riding partners....what I notice....is it the urge to show off a little bit more & the need to keep up with faster rider beyond ones comfort zone? Guess it's natural to try harder when riding in groups or with couple of friends...but when ever I ride in groups, I end up being the last one there??? I only kill them on the quarter miles but on the twisties I tend to stay back from the heards...the charging bulls. But if everyone rides so conservative...is it no fun?

Old 09-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The group I recently found is an awesome group, there is everything from Ducati 1198's to 250 Hyosungs. but it seems the leader and the faster guys will go ahead at whatever pace they want but when we have to make a turn they will hold back and wait for everyone to catch up or at least the second last guy will wait at the turn to show the last guy which way we went then catch up to the pack.
So far we have had quite a few rides and I haven't been on one that left a slower person behind while still having fun in the twisties.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like riding with groups, but i only like riding with groups of experienced riders. this way i know im going to learn and if the guy in front can do it so can I. If it wasnt for group riding id be so slow. well that and a handful of track days.I would just say feel out who your riding with. or have some knowledge of there riding abilitys . if you cant find that out ahead of time watch how they ride for few min. And estate4life tryt and be smooth . dont gun it in the straight and park it in the corners . try and roll at a set speed and try and keep that speed in the turns. it can be a fun game to play. start low say 40 then move up 50 60 ect.trust me it helps

Old 09-20-2011, 12:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think inexperienced riders tend to fall for the old target fixation problem. I know I still do and when I happen to ride with anyone it causes me to deviate from the lines I would normally take. There's also the issue of wondering whether I can outbrake the guy in front of me in the case that s/he is better at braking than me. There are only a handful of people I feel comfortable to ride out with and it's partly because I know I have a problem with target fixation, but also because I have become accustomed to their riding style.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:02 AM

this is true, i think your having trouble because it sounds like your following some bad riders. i have never followed a fast rider (track fast) that didnt make me faster . now ive folowed some people taking horrible lines that i just had to go around quick.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:27 AM

Hi,
have you ever heard of the so called "corner man" technique?

The cornerman system explained

It is really efective, and allow riders of different levels going in the same group, at different paces. Many ride outs from LondonBikers forum are organized through this system, and it really works. there are some trade offs, i.e. you always go where the leader goes. Not very democratic though, but good when you just go for a ride without really caring where you go.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:42 PM

if your ever in cincy hollar im a good guy to follow. and i ride with some guys who control ride at the track so always fgood to follow them

Old 09-21-2011, 07:41 PM
MZ5

Originally Posted by raylee
I think inexperienced riders tend to fall for the old target fixation problem.
I agree. A relatively inexperienced driver (cars) will tend to 'follow' the car in front of him, but won't follow properly. Generally, the inexperienced following vehicle will turn in too early, which will mess up their entire corner. No reason for that to be different based on number of wheels on the vehicle.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Default Alpha Male Atmosphere

Most men do not want to admit it, but everyone wants to be the "Alpha Male". It may not be in riding, but somewhere, in something they want to be the "Quarteback." But not everyone can be the "Quarterback." When most men get around other men in a setting they try to compare who is better or can do more or in a group ride setting there is some playful banter or taunting possibly, "I bet my g-ball can take your 1k RR." So a little into the ride, they "hit it" and the g-ball ends with an insurance claim. Take this situation remove the other riders and likely no insurance claim(due to "comparing members size").

I know everytime I ride witha group I always try to figure out where we are going and say If ya hit it, don't wait for me... I will catch up. I have a wife and 2 kids now, unlike 10 years ago when I first got my bike. The guys I usually ride with enjoy 150 on the straight roads... I have mouths to feed.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:11 PM

I don't like riding in groups because other people either ride too slow or too fast for me. I'm by no means a fast rider, and I don't enjoy the ride at all if I'm pushing myself to 100% desperately trying to keep up with the very experienced riders in the corners.

I also don't really like riding with n00bs where I constantly have to slow down to almost walking pace in order for them to catch up.

I prefer to ride on my own, because then I can ride at my own pace with no pressure to keep up with anyone faster than me.

Quick Reply: Group ride pressures to keep up