Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Group ride pressures to keep up

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:58 PM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All group rides I did always have leader, tail and blocker people assigned for that day. And the tail person doesn't care how slow you go. They always encourage people to ride on their level. Just riding with someone who can go faster than me do help me to push myself a little but not way ahead of my skill level. At first, I didn't want to ride in group because I didn't want to hold someone up behind me. But they've been cool and let me ride at my own pace. So I like riding in the group now.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Group rides can be fun because of the challenging atmoshere. If approached sanely.
There's a consensus here that advocates, "Don't ride above your abilities". That's the sane part.
NEVER over-ride your confidence/ability to control the bike. Arriving home, SAFELY is always the top priority.

However, group riding can help you expand your limitations, in a way that solo doesn't.

If you're following an experienced rider (who knows his/her limitations) that's setting the pace,
you get a visual of the lines and the pacing. For me, seeing someone else do it,
gives me the confidence to settle down and do it, too. When you're following someone,
it's also a kind of cruise-control. If you follow their pace, you can pay less attention to
speed-control, and more on steering-control. That's just one of the potential benefits.

The down-side, everyone's pointed out...
Poor communication/organization, Have you discussed passing rules? What everyone's
idea of the safe follow distance should be? What top speed is? 10 over, 20 over
the posted speed limits? My personal rule is never over 20. I like my license, I want to keep it.
I don't want to pay thru the nose doing it, either.
Sporting on public roads has RULES. Figure them out, amongst the group,
BEFORE you hit the streets.

That 100-mph wheely-stuff, going down the expressway? I'm thinking, "What a dumb-#$%."
NOT, "How cool is that!". Save the track stunts/speeds for the track. Putting the civies
at risk is never excusable. That'd be my last ride with the moron.

The best rule for any sort of safety issue in life...It its not comfortable,
it's not safe. Don't be seduced to the Dark-Side, bow out if others are.
Just don't be afraid to use the "Force", either.

Ern

Old 02-06-2012, 06:13 PM
August 2011 ROTM

I agree with Ern. Our group ride is very organized. We have rules and signs. We ride like normal speed that cars are driving on normal streets, including freeways. And yes, I like to see how they make the corners etc.

When I was riding alone, I had no clue what my bike can do in term of how much it can lean if I cooperate.

But I can see someone get their ego up and try to keep up with more experienced riders with higher skill than he/she beyond their comfort level.

From when I first started riding bike, I read this thing over and over and over. Keep your ego in check. Pushing yourself a little at the time and playing with your ego is two different things, I think

Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 AM

There are few people that I will follow their line thru a corner, I usually pick my own. When riding alone when I come across a corner that I like I will take it over and over picking a different line each time and building my speed each time. When I ride with a group they assume I am a beginer or not very experienced because I am a female. I just let them think that, I have nothing to prove. I gave up excessive speed years ago.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by philthethrillohio
if your ever in cincy hollar im a good guy to follow. and i ride with some guys who control ride at the track so always fgood to follow them
Phil I just got my first sport bike and ill be ready for some rides in lol 4 weeks I'm in Covington/Newport area what part of cincy you in?

Old 04-08-2013, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by cklein85
Phil I just got my first sport bike and ill be ready for some rides in lol 4 weeks I'm in Covington/Newport area what part of cincy you in?
Im on the east side of cincy, milford area. Check out assfaultjunkies.com. tons of local riders and there always doin group rides. Everyone is very helpful and its just a great group of people. My names philthethrill on there. Post a intro thread and let the good times roll

Old 04-30-2013, 10:34 PM

I enjoy riding all different types of rides, just not highway exclusive unless there is a good destination. I do learn good things from riding in big groups. I specially learn how to push myself while riding amidst some good friends who know how where the limit is. helps my confidence grow. being out of the game has put a big reality check on me and I don't know too many local guys since I've moved and just recently acquired another bike so i'm still getting my bearings back......by myself lol!