Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Fitness & Riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kuroshio, lucky us I hit the Big 40 next weekend. I am horrible about any workout regimen, work schedule and kids keep me pre-occupied. Need to get on track and start back into some basic isometrics.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:49 PM

oy.. i NEED to workout.. after every ride to and from oak harbor im a bit sore. love the burn but dont want that kinda burn cuz im outta shape lol

Old 02-14-2012, 12:23 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any hot tips on how to get rid of this barrel that has moved where my stomach should be? I drive a truck, and sadly the thing is I have to eat what comes by, or not eat at all, and mostly that is junk food... I try to eat at cafeterias of different factories I go to, but there's not always time for that. I have to admit I drink quite a lot of beer on weekends and have a bit of sweet tooth too... Combined with the fact that when I get home, I'm usually so tired I just cant bother to think about exercising... But that gut's gotta go, it looks pretty bad and Propably is going to feel pretty uncomfortable against the tank... I'm extremely good in starting diets, push ups etc, the enthusiams just seems to dry out pretty quick... And no way in hell I'm going to zumba! a) my wife goes there b) finnish men are equipped with a spine and hips similiar to a shovel...

Old 02-14-2012, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mattson
... And no way in hell I'm going to zumba! a) my wife goes there b) finnish men are equipped with a spine and hips similiar to a shovel...
LMAO!!!

i have great tips.. i just dont follow my own advice!
Here's thediet i recommend fellow 6 pick in the fridge riders!
Start by eating 5 or 6 small meals/snacks a day (every 2hours) instead of 3 huge ones or binge eating right when you wake up, go to sleep, or bored. try not to eat within 4 hours of sleep. instead of lovely beer, drink rice made beer and less quantity (budlight). breads are something id stay away from due to being a trucker and not using the carbs/starches as much. also, pump those fluids meaning WATER. all day long... when you are peeing clear and feel like a racehorse.. youre doing it right. thats not to say that for the first few days - your urine will be darker due to flushing your system. cardio is great but im just talking bout your diet. start with these tips and do that for 10 days, then 2 weeks, and shoot for 30 days as short term goals. i promise you'll watch the weight flush away as well as feel better too!

<-- used to be a personal trainer and nutritionist.. just cant follow my own advice

Old 02-14-2012, 09:54 AM

what the guy above said but some more specifics on food and what ive done many times for cutting would be wake up at about 6-7am eat a bowl of plain oatmeal as soon as you wake up and then go do cardio for at least 30min to an hour. If you can wait til after working out to eat your oatmeal. Add minimal sugar if you have to and milk is fine only 2% or less though! every 2-3 hours eat something. Usually a piece of fruit or vegetable (raw) or a handful of peanuts, almonds, other nuts (unsalted) around 1-3 eat a light "lunch meal" of a tuna sandwich (no mayo) and a fruit/veggie or something like fish and brown rice. peanut butter sandwich for dinner- dont eat past 830-9pm. Whole wheat bread too. No white rice, sugar, or white bread.

Stick to beans, raw fruits/vegs, brown rice, whole wheat bread and pasta noodles, plain oatmeal, peanut butter (as natural as possible/no jelly) and tuna sandwiches, nuts (unsalted). And remember lots of sleep if you can manage. 6-9 hours.

You dont have to wake up as early depending on your sleep schedule, but working out as soon as possible is great because after you work out your body will continue to burn calories throughout the day. Eating immediately after waking up will get your bodys metabolism going asap too. eating before going to bed (830ish) is bad because your bodys metabolism slows down. Eating constantly in small portions throughout the day keeps your bodys metabolism going constantly.

Any questions feel free to ask!- also cardio includes any running, jumping, swimming, jogging. - basically constant movement keeping your heart rate up. and keep drinking water! no coffee,pop,soda, energy drinks, etc.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by hss2010
also cardio includes any running, jumping, swimming, jogging. - basically constant movement keeping your heart rate up. and keep drinking water! no coffee,pop,soda, energy drinks, etc.
awesome clarification btw, you will realize you dont need the coffee and energy drinks when you get into this sort of routine. as far as the cardio because we know some of you are truckers or drive all day.. best i can say is crank up some katy perry and throw ur hands up and dance for hours..
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o71kCuva4B4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
heres some cardio..

Old 02-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great advice guys, I really appreciate it! Now to throw a few spanners into the gears:

I wake up at 4am. Every single workday. I eat right away because the next chance I have to get something behind the belt is around 9am. I`m not a freightliner, more of what we call here a "packet-rocket", I drive a big truck (18 metric tons, two axles, tailgatelifter etc..well, I drive this) and mostly move heavy pallets with the pump-cart. (?) Actually even more than drive the actual car... (generally around 100miles/day) I go to work in the nearest city, so my daily commute takes about one hour there and another back, and when I get home there`s paperwork etc, so I usually manage to crawl into the bed around 23pm, so I normally sleep around five hours a night... REALLLY not enough, but that`s the case for some time before we can save enough money to pay the down payment for a house from the city (the banks require you have the required sum in order to approve a house loan)

I`m allergic to basically all nuts that has not been heated (roasted) and to most fruits. Well, not the fruits, but the chemicals import-stuff has. Domestic fruits and veggies don`t cause that much symptoms, or not at all, just a bit hard to find them under four feet of snow... As for the water: I get it to the cockpit- and forget to drink it... and the next day it`s frozen solid... Gotta remember to get onto that one...

As I said I eat at the cafeterias/lunch restaurants every chance I get, but not every day because there`s just not time for it... I have tried to take bread etc. with me, but too many times curse in my car halfway to work when I realise they are still sitting in the fridge at home... Luckily the owner of this one place I go to every day at midday lets me use their breakroom`s fridge and microwave so if I don`t have the time to lunch at those cafes I`ll try to grab a tv-dinner from some grocery store I take stuff to. Other than those options it`s McDon`s or equalivent (they tend to be handy at most biggest gas stations...)

I`m not staying off the caffeine- it`s a lifeline when you are living in this dark and cold climate. I have noticed I don`t drink coffee in the summer that much, in the hottest and sunniest perioid not at all.
But I gotta lay off the beer- even some... There`s a biggish party for all of the truckers in our company next weekend where I presume wine is going to flow and the steaks will be thick, but after that I gotta pull it together- I got two to three months to shed the "driving muscle" before spring...

In the army I used to go cross-country running. Even managed to quit smoking with it. Then I got a flu. Tried to start running again, got another one. Tried again, got pneumonia. The doctor banned ALL physical exercises for two months, perioid. Haven`t been running since (6 yrs). Today at work when I was reading this topic I decided I`m going to try it again. Then it started to snow. And the wind picked up. And it snowed more. And I thought would our 1 year- old cockerspaniel be able to keep up as he has never been running before... And my shoulders are really stiff...And I`m a master of coming up with excuses! I decided that when I get home I`m going running, and running I went! In a biblical blizzard. AND I LOVED IT! And our dog loved it too! Man, you shoulda seen him go! I had a chance to take a breather every time he went sniffing light posts and stuff, but after 45 minutes I had to admit I was the one being dragged... Got back home, soaking wet, looking like a sasquatch, and feeling like a million bucks! And the dog...Not many times I have seen such a wide smile on an animal`s face!

I got myself a jogging pal today- and am DEFINETELY going back! Now I gaotta stretch up, and then start paying that inch-thick bill-stack next to me...

Old 02-15-2012, 08:31 AM

well as for the nuts and fruits what a bummer. Swap out nuts with some healthy cottage cheese or plain yogurt- plain yogurt sucks in my opinion but take a teaspoon of your favorite jelly and mix it in. Itll taste a whole lot better. Eat those veggies! Pack food for your drives- peanut butter sandwich, carrot sticks/cucumber/celery/etc, tuna sandwich, other healthy alternatives.

At first you wont have the "full" feeling but youll get used to being "content" by eating through out the day. Will power!

Speaking of I should probably start working out too. After my accident in august- fractured my spine I sat around for a few months. Gained about 20 lbs and i weight more than ever. So im in the same boat. We can lose it together! sorta...

Old 02-15-2012, 09:01 AM

Bikini time is getting close so I started a diet yesterday. I downloaded an app that you enter your age, height, current wieght and your goal weight and how many pounds a week you want to lose and it tells you how many calories a day you can eat. It has a cool food tracker thing that you enter what you ate and it subtracts the calories from your daily allowed calories. It's pretty cool, except it says that I should eat 1026 calories a day. That is going to be tought. I went over by 138 calories yesterday and still lost 1/2 pound in one day. I'll have to see what happens after today. I only want to lose 1 1/2 pounds a week at most.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:15 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just Dance....Wii , PS2, XBOX....

Go at it for a few songs...you'll kill some calories....

Hey guys...& girls, need your votes for ROTM

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-month-39/february-2012-rotm-voting-thread-134468/

Quick Reply: Fitness & Riding