Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Fitness & Riding

Old 02-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Default Fitness & Riding

Read an article recently about racing, crashes and how the body's overall fitness affects both. I understood how important being in shape is to riding, like how the core muscles help you maintain good body positioning. But the person stressed how working out also helped to prevent and mitigate injuries if the worst happens.

My big Four-O lands this year so I decided to get a gym membship. What exercises would people suggest, with the focus being on general flexibility and riding (not bodybuilding nor body sculpting)? Good ideas for anyone interested or additions to their current routine

Old 02-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

Do more free-weights than captured machines for lifting etc.. When the load is "wild"
you are also building your co-ordination/fine motor control, as well. Don't neglect your
pull-type exercises. That's a different set than your push/press muscles.

Don't ever jerk your weights/loads. Slow/smooth take-up/follow through.
Less prone to injury, and again, it's all about control of the load.
Use as much tension/resistance as you relax the load. Always resist gravity.

More reps, less weight. That also helps build stamina/flexibility.

Learn to breath. With your belly. Draw in before the load, exhale as you move it.

Google up dancer/swimmer/bicyclist routines. Thai-chi, Wing Chun are both good
disciplines for fluid strength, as well.

Hope this gives you a few ideas, Ern

Old 02-06-2012, 06:24 PM
August 2011 ROTM

We need good core and lower back muscle as well as good cardio power. I would start with 5 or 10 min cardio machine to warm up the body. You can work out your whole body.

#1 Exercises Guide! Over 300+ Free Exercise Videos And Guides! has lists of different types of workout you can do for each section of muscle group. Just start off slow. Some people break up upper and lower body into different days. Some do whole body workout in one day.

For core, plank works good. Try to hold it for 30 sec first and work your way up few 1 or 2 mins. You can also rotate the upper body like twisting with one arm extends out up to the sky. That also works on side and bad as well.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

SEAL FIT Hip Mobility Drill - YouTube

Movement Demo-Joint Mobility Warmup - YouTube

I do these before I workout everyday and than do static stretching after. Also If you have a sauna available sit in it for 10 minutes before and 10 minutes after. It will help warm up your muscles and help prevent injury and soreness.

I do sealfit because I like Olympic lifting and long workouts, but I highly recommend crossfit because its high intensity cardio while still working on mobility and flexibility.

+1 to ern as well, I hate any kind of machine routine and and treadmills.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:16 PM

Push ups. If you're around the house for a couple of hours, do 10-15 push ups every fifteen minutes for 4 hours or so. Push ups build a whole range of muscle groups that are all beneficial to riding. Also, you won't bulk up doing push ups. Strength and definition will come, but you'll never be working against more than that same percentage of your body weight.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:31 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Don't laugh....ask the gym about Zumba courses. You'll have a blast!!!!

Old 02-12-2012, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by estate4life View Post
Don't laugh....ask the gym about Zumba courses. You'll have a blast!!!!
Actually the guy that signed me up said the same... + the chick factor

Old 02-12-2012, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059 View Post
More reps, less weight. That also helps build stamina/flexibility.
Zumba will work for sure.. plus it might give you a girl or two that will wanna ride on the bike. Ive found not just the core and lower back muscle workouts to be helpful but also shoulder and the traps (those muscles between your shoulders and neck). Doing shrugs and free weight exercises to build stamina there will help a lot with riding posture and stance at those red lights.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:31 AM

Great topic!

I know a lot of racers will train by cycling to get in shape. Besides that, I would work on your core and do lots of stretching.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:51 AM
February 2012 ROTM

By all means, if exercising is like riding your bike, then everyone will be in tip top shape. Depending on your age, I'll say if you over 33...the first 45 min of exercising, cycling, jogging, Zumba...aerobics...is only to maintain your current weight. It's sad but true..so many people exercising 45-60minutes, thinking ok, I can eat more cause I excercised..false. So Excercising + dieting is most important...you are what you eat...

Most important is not to get bored...so now you can see why ZUMBA is well accepted.....It motivated a person if bunch of chick looking at you!!!

But before feeling stupid in one of those Zumba classes...get the DVD set at learn the few basic steps first..then go to those classes...it's a
Blast & sweat like crazy...I start Zumba about 1 year ago weight in at 208lb...now about 185lbs but I'm no way near the shape of those instructors...because instill eat the same diet as I am eating prior to starting Zumba. I'm just doing it to maintain my weight, not to look good for a date...LOL... I used to run every other day for 60min, then try those machines...you'll get bored in a month...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fitness & Riding

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.